Table of Contents
What Makes a Beginner Butt Plug ‘the Best?’
If you’re new to the world of anal play, finding the best beginner butt plug can feel a bit overwhelming. This in-depth guide will give you:
- Everything you need to know when shopping for your first anal toy
- The 9 best small butt plugs available in 2020
- Anal sex FAQs to ease into it the right way
- Several popular plugs to avoid
Let’s get to it!
Pick the right size
If you’re an absolute buttsex beginner, then it’s always best to pick a smaller butt plug than you think. As a general rule, we recommend:
- For women: choose a plug that’s no more than 3 inches long and 1 to 1.25 inches wide.
- For men: choose a plug around 3-4 inches long (to hit the prostate) and no more than 1.5 inches wide.
Your mileage may vary, but there’s nothing worse than getting a first butt plug that’s too big, which turns you (or your partner) off to the whole experience. If you’re unsure of which size is right, you can always start with one of the multi-piece anal trainer sets listed below.
It’s better to be wanting more than to start too aggressively!
Pick the right material
Generally speaking, butt plugs come in silicone, metal (stainless steel and aluminum), or glass.
For a small beginner butt plug we recommend starting with a high-quality silicone plug as it’s the softest and most comfortable material of the three. This gives you more wiggle room (literally) to play around and learn to relax around your newfound anal toy. From our experience, a metal or glass toy will feel 1/4″ bigger than an identical-sized silicone butt plug due to this hardness factor.
Keep in mind that not all silicone is created equally; some cheaper brands end up using silicone that is quite firm and doesn’t have a lot of give. Compared to a brand like Tantus that is known for making silky-soft anal toys that will feel much better as you’re still learning.
Get a small butt plug with a tapered shape
It’s important to acclimate yourself to the sensations of anal play gradually. Unfortunately, many cheap butt plugs are quite bulbous and require you to take the widest part of the toy almost immediately.
Instead, a toy with a gentle taper is ideal for your first butt plug. This lets you take the toy at your own pace and make sure you’re 100% ready for the widest part of the toy.
For guys – keep in mind that a bulbed shape is ideal for prostate stimulation. Your best bet may be to get a longer tapered toy to be sure you’re hitting the p-spot, even if it’s not as targeted as some bulbed butt plugs out there.
Use high-quality lube
Just like the oil in your car’s engine, lube is the key to making sure everything keeps running smoothly during anal sex. And before you ask, no, spit is not a high-quality lube.
Generally, the silicone lubes are smoother and longer-lasting, but they can’t be used with silicone toys. For more details check out how to pick the best lube for anal sex.
Try a small vibrating butt plug
Just like a massage loosens up the muscles in your back, a vibrating butt plug can loosen up the sphincter muscles and help you relax. Not to mention all the other pleasant feelings that come with targeted internal vibrations!
If you choose a butt plug without a built in vibrator don’t worry – you can still use an external vibrator like the Shibari Halo and the butt plug will transmit those powerful vibrations inside you.
A vibrating butt plug has benefits for both guys and girls, too. Girls get the benefit of feeling the vibrations through to the A-spot or G-spot, while guys have the benefit of targeting the prostate directly.
For more detailed information, check out the FAQ at the bottom of this page.
Alright, you made it through the boring part – let’s get to the best beginner butt plug reviews!
Comparing the Best Small Butt Plugs
|wdt_ID||Name||Ins Length (Inches)||Max Girth (Inches)||Material||Features||Rating||Price|
|1||Pure Plug (Sm)||2.25||1.00||Stainless Steel||Pull ring base
|2||Bootie Plug (Sm)||2.60||1.00||Silicone||Prostate stimulation bulb||8.4||30|
|3||BVibe Novice||3.35||1.00||Silicone||Remote Control
|4||Perfect Plug Kit||4.00||1.20||Silicone||2 sizes - small and large
Vibrating bullet included
|5||Crystal Delights (Sm)||3.30||1.30||Glass||Swarovski crystal jewel
Hardened, tempered glass
|6||Rosebuds Cristal (Med)||2.40||1.20||Steel or Aluminum||Swarovski crystal base
5 sizes to choose from
Many color options
|8||Tantus Little Flirt||3.35||0.80||Silicone||Smallest plug available
Bright color selection
|14||Petite Sensations||3.00||1.00||Silicone||Vibrating bullet||8.3||20|
|19||Rianne S. Kit||2.75||1.38||Silicone||3 Piece set
Disclosure: some of the links on this page are affiliate links, meaning we get paid if you buy a product using one of our links, at no extra cost to you. We never let affiliate programs influence our decisions on the best sex toys, and the opinions here are our own. We’ve spent hundreds of hours reviewing and testing toys and this is how we keep the lights on. Read our full affiliate disclosure.
The Smallest Butt Plug: Little Flirt by Tantus
Little Flirt Specs:
Our Rating: 7.8 / 10
Insertable Length: 3.35″
Max Girth: .8″
Materials: Premium Silicone
Features: Tapered for beginner anal training
Little Flirt by Tantus is the perfect small butt plug for absolute beginners, with everything about it designed to provide gentle stimulation and warm up your ass to the world of anal pleasure.
At 3.35 inches insertable and just .8 inches diameter, Little Flirt is by far the smallest butt plug on this list – not much bigger than a finger – so it’s perfect if you’re particularly petite or want to take things very slow to start.
- Tapered Tip: allows for gradual insertion to slowly train your ass to relax.
- T-base: means you can leave the plug in safely for extended periods of time.
- Silky soft: Tantus’ high quality silicone is smooth and soft, for maximum comfort while you explore anal play.
- Truly a beginner’s butt plug. At .8 inches max diameter, you may find yourself craving a bigger toy sooner than you think.
If you’re curious about the world of anal play, but worried about pain or discomfort involved, then the Little Flirt is the ideal small butt plug for you. Everything about it is designed for maximum comfort and warming up to the feelings of anal sex.
Combined with Tantus’ reputation for high quality materials and customer support, and you really can’t go wrong!
Best Affordable Beginner Butt Plug: Rocks Off Petite Sensations
Petite Vibrations Specs:
Our Rating: 8.3 / 10
Insertable Length: 3″
Max Girth: 1″
Features: 7-function vibrating bullet
Ready to get your rocks off? The petite sensations is a slim starter butt plug with a powerful vibrating bullet built into the T-base of the plug.
This is another cute starter plug, with smooth, but firmer silicone and a gentle taper to ease you into things.
- Powerful vibe: 7 vibrating speeds gives you total flexibility over the level of anal stimulation.
- Tapered shape: great for anal training for a buttsex beginner.
- Affordable: At just $20 this is our vote for best budget small anal plug on this list.
- Vibrations are strongest at the base of the toy, and a bit weaker up at the tip.
For just $20 this power-packed butt plug has a lot going for it. The right shape, quality materials, and a multi-speed vibrating bullet. Proving that good things really do come in small packages!
Best Anal Trainer Set: Tantus Perfect Plug Kit
Perfect Plug Kit Specs:
Our Rating: 7.9 / 10
Insertable Length: 3.5″, 4″
Max Girth: .75″, 1.2″
Features: Bulbed tip for p-spot stimulation, removable vibrating bullet
Not sure exactly what size butt plug is right for your first anal toy? The Tantus Pure Plug kit comes with a small and medium-sized plug so all your bases are covered.
Made with all the quality you’d expect from Tantus, and the bigger plug is long enough to effectively hit the P-spot for the guys out there. The bigger plug also has a vibrating bullet in the base, which makes this anal trainer set even better.
- Premium Silicone: Tantus is known for their high-quality, silky silicone toys and these plugs fit the mold,
- Vibrating: You’ll be rewarded for taking in the larger plug with a vibrating bullet that provides extra internal stimulation.
- Size up: The small butt plug is tapered for easy insertion and practice before moving up to the bigger plug.
- These plugs are so comfortable and slide in so easily that you may be ready to move on to bigger anal toys quicker than you think!
Tantus makes great anal dildos and butt plugs, period. And with nearly perfect ratings on every single review of the Perfect Plug kit online, we think you’ll see why this beginner butt plug set is so versatile and well-loved.
Best Beginner Plug for Guys: Bootie Plug Small + Medium
Bootie Plug Specs:
Our Rating: 8.4 / 10
Insertable Length: 2.6″
Max Girth: 1″
Materials: Hypoallergenic Silicone
Features: P-spot bulb, secure T-base
The Bootie Plug by FunFactory is a great butt plug for any experience level given that it’s available in small, medium, or large sizes. Although for the scope of this review, we’re looking specifically at the small and medium sizes.
Made of soft, flexible silicone it’ll slide inside you with no problems, where the round tip can hit all sorts of pleasurable spots. Keep in mind what we said above about round vs tapered. We recommend this plug specifically for guys because it’s better for prostate stimulation, even though the shape isn’t ideal for your typical starter butt plug.
At 1″ maximum girth and 2.6″ insertable for the small plug, you may find yourself wanting to get the medium, especially if your goal is to hit the prostate.
- Prostate Stimulation: the Bootie Plug has a curved, bulbous tip that’s ideal for hitting the p-spot.
- Long-term Wear: the T-base keeps the Bootie Plug in place to provide extra stimulation as you go about your day.
- The round tip isn’t as easy to get inserted as something more slim and tapered, like many of the other starter butt plugs on this list.
- The small plug is a bit of the short side to hit every guy’s prostate. Consider the medium or large if you’re feeling adventurous.
The Bootie Plug is fairly unassuming when you first look at it, but everything here has been designed for maximum quality and anal stimulation. It’s one of our favorite starter butt plugs for men as it’s perfect for prostate stimulation, and also long-term wear to train your ass to take bigger objects.
Best Vibrating Butt Plug for Beginners: Bvibe Novice
bVibe Novice Specs:
Our Rating: 8.8 / 10
Insertable Length: 3.35″
Max Girth: 1″
Materials: Silky Soft Silicone
Features: 6 vibration levels, 15 patterns, and a wireless remote.
In this case, the bVibe Novice is their starter butt plug that packs all the features you expect into one tiny, but powerful package.
- Tapered Shape is ideal for anal training and beginners
- Powerful Vibrations: 6 intensity settings and 15 vibration patterns to deliver powerful anal orgasms. Controlled by a wireless remote, or from buttons on the base of the plug.
- Soft & flexible: the silicone inserts comfortably and offers plenty of flexibility inside you. Great to wear around the house while your partner plays with the remote.
- $100 is steep, even for the most powerful beginner plug on our list. You may love the feeling so much that you quickly size up to bigger toys.
We love love LOVE all the features packed into this vibrating beginner butt plug. It’s a perfect way to get your partner into the sensations of anal play. The only thing holding it back is the price point combined with the relatively small size, meaning you may move on to bigger and better things quicker than you expected.
Best Small Steel Butt Plug: nJoy Pure Plug
Pure Plug Specs:
Our Rating: 9.6 / 10
Insertable Length: 2.25″
Max Girth: 1″
Materials: 100% Stainless Steel
Features: Secure, flared O-ring base
The nJoy pure plug is one of those anal toys that looks great and feels even better. Made of 100% high-quality stainless steel, it captures the light and has a sexy shine to it.
But the real magic begins when you insert it. Stainless steel is much harder than your typical silicone butt plug, and also provides unique temperature sensations where it starts off cool and warms up as you play with it longer.
- Perfect size for beginners: keep in mind stainless steel toys will feel slightly larger than their silicone counterparts because the metal has no give to it,
- Anal training: The secure O-ring base makes it easy to slide in and out even with excess lube on your fingers.
- All Day Use: Stainless steel is great for long-term wear as it can be used with premium silicone lubes. Although the metal might be a little too firm for some extended-use wearers.
- Fairly expensive compared to similar-sized beginner butt plugs.
- You may wish you’d bought a medium or large Pure Plug once you get used to it!
nJoy is a top-tier toy maker that makes the best metal toys on the market. If you’re looking for a metal beginner butt plug, then we can think of no better option than the small (or medium) Pure Plug.
More Steel & Aluminum Butt Plugs
If you’re intrigued by the possibilities of metal sex toys, read our full review of the best stainless steel and aluminum butt plugs on the market.
Best Small Princess Plug: Rosebuds Cristal
Rosebuds Cristal Specs:
Our Rating: 9.5 / 10
Price:$65, $75, $85, $95, $130
Insertable Length: 1.7″, 2.4″, 3.3″, 3.75″, 4.9″
Max Girth: 1″, 1.2″, 1.4″, 1.6″, 2.0″
Materials: 100% Stainless Steel or Anodized Aluminum
Features: Genuine Swarovski crystal in base
If you’re looking for a cute and luxurious beginner princess plug, then Rosebuds Cristal gemmed princess plugs are worth a look.
There are more available options on these plugs than just about any other jeweled butt plug. By our back-of-the-napkin math, there are over 200 variations (probably more) to choose from between sizes, materials, plug colors, and gem colors.
As far as sizes go, you’ll probably want to try the small (1″ max width) or the medium (1.2″ max width) sizes – anything bigger may be too much for a beginner princess plug.
- Pure luxury: these are, in our opinion, the best-looking gemmed princess plugs out there.
- Round gemmed base is ideal for double-penetration and vaginal sex as it doesn’t block the vagina like a T-base can.
- Tons of options: 5 sizes from beginner to expert, stainless steel or aluminum, and over 20 crystal / gem colors to choose from.
- Feel the metal difference: Stainless steel and aluminum both provide unique sensations that you don’t get with a silicone plug. Keep in mind stainless steel is much heavier than aluminum.
- There’s nothing beginner about the price point, though.
If you’re looking for a cute, yet high-end starter plug then give the Rosebuds Cristal collection a try. Their plugs are so high-quality and sexy that they’re a major turn on for both men and women. Perfect as a surprise for your partner that’s looking to get into anal play!
Honorable Mention: Petite Spade
Not nearly as sexy (or in as many options) as the Rosebuds Cristal series, but at a much cheaper price point.
See our full review of the Petite Spade Beginner Plug here.
More Gemmed Princess Plugs
Looking for something slightly different in a jeweled princess plug? Read our full, detailed breakdown of the best princess plugs on the market.
Best Princess Plug Starter Kit: Rianne S 3-Piece Silicone Trainer
Rianne S. 3 Piece Specs:
Our Rating: 7.0 / 10
Insertable Length: 2.375″, 2.75″, 3.1″
Max Girth: 1.25″, 1.375″, 1.5″
Features: Gemmed base in clear or purple
This 3 piece butt plug set from Rianne S. is great for anal beginners and experts alike. The 3 plug sizes ensure you always have the right plug for your experience level and sexual mood. At 1.25″ wide and 2.375″ insertable length, the small plug is the perfect way to warm up.
Before you know it you’ll be using the large plug, at 3.1 inches insertable and 1.5 inches wide!
|wdt_ID||Size||Ins. Length||Max Girth|
The round circular base makes these plugs ideal for women, as the round base will not block the vagina for double penetration. The large size is more of a “medium”, which also lends this set better for women. Guys can use it too, but may want something a bit longer for prostate stimulation.
- Three-in-one: you get a small, medium, and large plug in one set, so you can move up as you get more comfortable with anal play.
- Price: Getting 3 great silicone butt plugs for $40 is a hell of a deal, especially if you’re unsure of the right size to start.
- Silicone: softer as a material for a beginner anal toy.
- Must use oil-based lube for long-term wear as water-based lubes will dry out too quickly.
- Not nearly as many color and gem options as the Rosebuds plugs.
As far as value goes, it’s hard not to love this silicone princess plug trainer set. You get 3 high quality toys for just $40, which is about as good as it gets for body safe toys. The plugs themselves are perfectly suited for use during sex, and the medium and large plugs are fine for long term wear.
Best Small Glass Butt Plug: Crystal Delights (Sm)
Crystal Delights Specs:
Our Rating: 9.4 / 10
Insertable Length: 2.8″
Max Girth: 1.3″
Materials: Tempered Glass
Features: Genuine Swarovski crystal or animal tail base
Crystal Delights makes the highest quality glass butt plugs available, in our humble opinion. The glass is high quality and tempered, so they’re much more durable than most glass sex toys. And the genuine Swarovski crystal base means these are also sexy little princess plugs as well.
Technically they come in 6 sizes – a small/large bulb, and a short/medium/long stem. We’re specifically talking about the short stem and small bulb for the purposes of beginner butt plugs.
- Glass: much harder than silicone, and great for temperature play.
- Silicone lube: glass can be used with premium silicone lubes, unlike silicone toys.
- Unmatched quality: CD makes the best glass toys money can buy
- Aesthetics: many glass color options and 20+ crystal base colors means there’s the right color combo for you.
- Price: they aren’t cheap, but damn are they pretty.
We love glass because the added firmness provides some exciting stimulation not found with silicone. And the visual appeal is crazy – the clear glass plus jeweled base means these are some of the sexiest princess plugs around. They’re not cheap, but you get what you pay for in this industry.
Beginner Butt Plug FAQs
What are butt plugs used for?
The anus has a significant bundle of pleasurable nerve endings that, when stimulated, provide more intense orgasms than stimulating just the vagina or penis. Longer butt plugs also have the benefit of stimulating the p-spot (if you’re a guy) or the a-spot (if you’re a girl).
And if you’re anything like us, there’s just something undeniably kinky and sexy about anal play. Your mileage may vary, but you’ll never know if you don’t try!
How much lube should I use?
Usually about a dime-sized drop of lube applied to the surface of the toy and your asshole is enough for most anal toys. Large and XL anal toys will require a bit more.
Contrary to popular belief, more is not better; too much lube can create an unwanted mess, especially if a good amount of it gets into your rectum and loosens up unwanted fecal matter.
Does anal sex hurt?
Anal sex should never hurt. Pain is your body’s way of telling you something is wrong, and you should listen to your body. That said, there may be some mild discomfort if you’re an anal beginner and still getting used to the sensations involved.
How do I prepare for anal sex?
It helps to be as relaxed as possible before you begin. Some tips to help relax:
- Clean out beforehand. Some people can’t relax if they’re constantly thinking about what may come out with the butt plug. Check out how to prepare for anal sex for a full checklist.
- Take a warm shower. You’ll feel clean and sexy, and the warm air can help loosen up your sphincter muscles. You can also play around with a finger or two to loosen up.
- Use a vibrator first. Vibrations will also help relax your ass and make the initial insertion feel better. If you can get an orgasm or two first, even better.
What’s the best material for a beginner butt plug?
We recommend silicone if this is your first butt plug purchase. It’s softer than metal or glass, which makes for easier insertion and has some “give” to the material so your sphincter will have an easier time taking in the plug.
The one material that should NEVER be used for an anal toy is jelly or some kind of clear jelly-silicone hybrid. These materials break down with use, meaning they leave small particles of rubber inside your rectum which can cause long-term health problems. They’re the cheapest butt plugs on the market, but a good silicone toy will only run you $5 – $10 extra. We think it’s easily worth the added cost to prevent costly health problems down the road.
Check out our sex toy materials guide for more info.
What shape is best for a small butt plug?
A longer butt plug with a thin taper is ideal for a beginner butt plug. This lets you slowly get used to the toy as it gets wider, and there’s no shock to your system with a large, bulbous head.
Beginner Butt Plugs to Avoid
Doc Johnson Crystal Jellies
This is a popular beginner plug found on retailers all over the internet. According to the product description:
“[the] exterior is crafted of firm plastisol and the interior is made of flexible PVC, All materials are Phthalate-Free, Latex-Free, and Body-Safe.”
Now, that may be true – but we generally don’t trust any sex toy material that is see-through for the reasons mentioned above. To be fair, we haven’t tested this butt plug personally, but it’s hard to have confidence with reviews like this:
Jelly Rancher Pleasure Beginner’s Butt Plug with Suction Cup
We recommend to avoid this cheap starter plug for the same reasons as the above plug. The product description here is even more vague, stating it’s made from a “firm-but-flexible rubber jelly material.”
We’ll pass, thanks.
Jeweled Metal Beginner Butt Plug
You read that right, this product doesn’t even have a real name, just a series of keywords. It bears all the hallmarks of a cheap toy made in god-knows-what kind of factory in Asia. This exact same butt plug shows up on all kinds of shady sex toy websites and has thousands of purchases due to the fact that is costs $8.
But what kind of quality do you think you’re really getting for less than the price of a fast food meal? It is also made of ambiguous materials, with the description listing “medical grade metal alloy.” Metals other than steel or aluminum can also degrade inside your body, and heavy metal poisoning is a real thing to worry about.
Again, don’t take it from us – check out this featured review:
Best Small Butt Plugs: In Conclusion
Hopefully this lengthy article gave you the information you need to find the perfect small butt plug for your needs. We want yourfirst anal experience to be as sexy and comfortable as possible.
If you’re anything like us, that means you’ll be moving on to more adventurous anal play in no time at all!
Happy playing 🙂