Welcome to our comprehensive and definitive guide to the best dildos available to buy.
In this guide, we’ll:
- Explain what you need to know to buy the best dildo for your needs
- Compare the best dildos currently available in 2020
- Review the best toys in each popular category of toys
- Answer your FAQs about dildos and sex toys
- Give you a list of popular dildos to avoid due to unsafe materials or poor quality
We’ve reviewed and sorted through over 500 dildos to create this guide using a combination of our own experience, 3rd party reviews on dildo-maker websites and Amazon, and the opinions of users on /r/sextoys and other professional reviewers.
Different bodies prefer different types of toys, and we don’t want to limit recommendations to just our personal preferences in size and shape.
We have a lot to cover, so let’s get to it!
(We cover a lot of general info on dildos in the intro, so if you know what you’re looking for, use the table of contents to jump ahead)
What You Need to Know Before Buying a Dildo
Dildos may be the most difficult type of sex toy to make blanket statements for a mass audience.
The best dildo for you is ultimately going to come down to finding the right mix of size, aesthetics, materials, and features that you need.
In this guide we’ll generally stick to recommending entire brands, or at least provide several solid options within each category. There’s a ton of variability, and what works for us may not work for you.
Here are some of the most important factors that you need to decide on before making a purchase.
Size: Length & Girth
Perhaps the single most important factor: how experienced are you, and how big do you like your toys?
After sifting through 600+ dildos, we can confidently say the average size is around 6 inches insertable length and 1.5 inches of max girth. This roughly corresponds to an average (or slightly above-average) penis size.
Thus, we consider anything shorter than 6 inches insertable short, and anything up to 1.5 inches girth is probably fine for a relative beginner.
Intermediate sizes are generally between 6-8 inches insertable length and 1.5 – 2 inches max girth.
And anything longer than 8 inches or wider than 2 inches is an advanced sex toy, and you definitely want some experience before buying a toy this large.
Aesthetics: Realistic vs Non-phallic vs Fantasy Dildos
The next thing to consider is whether you’re looking for a phallic, realistic dildo (realistic color, texture, and overall appearance) or something a bit more abstract and nonphallic.
There’s also fantasy dildos to consider if you’re looking for specific fetish uses or unique shapes and textures.
Realistic & Semi-Realistic Dildos
We consider realistic dildos to be something that is shaped like a penis, has similar texture to a penis, and has flesh tone coloring. There’s been a lot of breakthroughs in these toys over the past decade and we’ll break down some of the best realistic toys down below.
A semi-realistic dildo has a realistic general shape and feel, but is often unrealistic in the aesthetics or materials department. They’re generally cheaper than full-realism since the colors and firmness don’t have to be a 100% match. But they’re still usually 90% of the way there.
There’s also a lot of toys that have the right general cylindrical shape, but don’t really look like a dick. These toys tend to be more ergonomic as the non-phallic shapes open up a lot of creative designs for both g-spot and prostate stimulation.
Some examples of nonphallic dildos:
- Ribbed and spiral shapes with unique textures
- Smooth ‘dilator’ type toys
- Curvy, bulbous shapes designed to pinpoint erogenous zones
Lastly, there’s fantasy shapes. These dildos get into very specific fetish use-cases including:
- Animal and mythical creature dongs
- Tentacles and probes
- Massive monster dildos
- Robotic and steampunk dildos
Your imagination is the only limit when it comes to these fantasy dildos, and many manufacturers will use ideas from individual users or fetishists to create some truly unique and fantastic shapes.
Materials: Soft vs Hard
Once you have a general aesthetic and size in mind, it’s important that you pick the right material and when considering which dildo to buy. Each of the materials below lend themselves to specific use-cases depending on what you’re looking for.
Soft Materials: Types of Silicone
90% of all dildos are going to be made of silicone because it’s soft, flexible, and the most realistic material, which is great if you’re going for that realism described above.
The most realistic feeling materials are dual density and triple density silicone. Dual density dildos are toys that have an inner core of firm silicone to give the toy rigidity and hold its shape, while the outer layer is a supersoft, squishy silicone designed to feel like skin.
Triple density toys are similar, with a firm core and soft outer layer, but they have a third supersoft layer in between that lets the outer layer flow and move more freely over the rigid core. There are very few triple density toys in existence and the cheapest ones cost $200+, but they are absolutely the most realistic a dildo can get.
Most toys are ‘single density’ silicone, meaning the whole toy is made up of one firmness. This can range from fairly firm and rigid, to supersoft ‘blubbery’ silicone.
We generally find supersoft to be more realistic than the firmer variants, but a lot of this will come down to personal preference for how much give you like in your dildo.
Without getting too technical, silicone has what’s know as a Shore Rating, which basically describes how soft it is. Lower Shore Ratings mean softer, squishier silicone.
There’s also 3 separate scales (Shore 00, Shore A, and Shore D).
In general, soft and squishy silicone is going to use the Shore 00 scale, while firmer dildos will use the Shore A scale.
This is a fairly complex topic, but here’s a great visual guide to give you a broad overview:
Hard Materials: Steel, Glass, Wood, Stone, & Ceramic
That said, if you’re not going for max realism, hard materials like stainless steel and glass also provide some unique benefits, including:
- Temperature play
- G-spotting and prostate stimulation
- Unique aesthetics (shiny for metal or see-through for glass)
Most hard materials are ideal for wand-type dildos as opposed to strap-ons, due to their ability to pinpoint pressure manually. They’re ideal for manual control with your hands as opposed to broader thrusting with your hips, and can lead to some very powerful orgasms in the right hands.
Base & Harness Compatibility
Now we’re getting into the nitty-gritty details. The type of base on your dildo is very important for how you plan to use it.
Here’s a visual guide to the types of bases:
These bases have three primary uses:
- They’re great with strapon harnesses because a properly-sized O ring can fit over the rest of the dong and lock onto the circular base
- They also work well for anal dildos because the flared circular base prevents the toy from pulling up into your ass.
- They’re ideal for double penetration as the round base doesn’t block access.
This is probably the most popular kind of dildo base, tied with the balls base.
A realistic dildo isn’t complete without balls at the base of the toy. But they aren’t just for aesthetics, the balls base also has three primary benefits:
- They also work well with strapons, as the balls act as a stopper for a harness or O ring to attach over.
- The wider base of the balls allow many of these dildos to free stand, which is ideal if you like to squat down over your toy.
- They’re also more ergonomic to grab a hold of if you prefer to manually thrust with your hands.
Suction cups are more of an additional feature than can work with either the circular or balls base described above.
Suction cups are particularly useful for solo play and masturbation, as they allow you to mount your dildo to a wall, chair, or bathtub and thrust against it like you would a partner.
They’re also useful for couples as they allow you to mount the dildo and use your hands for more… interactive activities.
This sort of hands-free experience adds another level of realism to using your toy, and also opens up new avenues of sexploration by yourself or with a partner.
Vac U Lock
The Vac U Lock is a style of harness of fucking machine base where a small rod with rubber O-rings inserts into the toy and uses a vacuum seal to provide a powerful grip to the base of your dildo.
It was originally pioneered by Doc Johnson, but has since become somewhat of an industry standard for a lot of strap on dildos.
Keep in mind toys with a Vac U Lock base tend to only work within that system – they’re not necessarily compatible with other strapon harnesses and bases.
Vac U Lock bases are most useful for large dildos that are too heavy to be held up by a suction cup. They’re also very useful for fucking machines as they grip tightly and aren’t as bulky as a full strap on harness.
Strapless & Double-Ended
There’s traditional double-ended dildos that are snakelike in appearance, and also the newer wave of double-ended ‘strapless’ strap ons. The idea being they give pleasure to both the pitcher and the catcher, and are ideal for lesbian couples or straight couples looking for a pegging toy.
The name is a bit of a misnomer – yes, strapless strapons technically work without the need for straps or a harness. But due to the weight they work best when used with a backless harness that keeps the dildo in place and provides pleasure to both parties.
Lastly, some dildos fall more into the wand category and simply have a handle base for manual use. They don’t work well for harnesses and they won’t free stand like a balls base will.
But this kind of ergonomic grip is especially useful for solo toys, as a curved handle allows you to pinpoint your own erogenous zones without straining your wrist too much.
There’s also straight-handled dildos that are great for use on a partner if you like to get really fast and rough with your hands.
There’s also a bunch of special features to consider when buying a dildo. Most toys only have 1 or 2 of these features (if any), so it’s important to think carefully about what’s important to you and what you’re looking for.
These are mostly niche use cases, but they can add some exciting ways to play over and above traditional penetrating toys.
Vibrating dildos are great for those who want maximal internal stimulation. After all, both the g-spot and prostate are several inches inside the body, and a vibrating dildo is a great way to really give some amazing orgasms.
And in a pinch they can even be used externally on the clit, although a vibrating dildo won’t be nearly as strong as a dedicated vibrator like a magic wand or the We-Vibe Tango.
Most vibrating dildos use a removable bullet vibrator, so the above-mentioned Tango is a great addition to any bullet vibe dildo.
There are a narrow selection of toys that actual extend and contract to simulate real thrusting. Combined with a suction cup, this takes the hands-free experience to a whole new level as your thrusting dildo pounds away on you.
There’s not as much variety to choose from here, but self-thrusting toys are fantastic for solo play or couples looking for unique new things to try.
Beyond just the skin and veins texture on realistic dildos, there are a wide variety of dongs with cleverly-placed bumps, ridges, and valleys that provide unique sensations as they slide in and out of you. Conversely, there are also 100% smooth toys out there that are great for fast thrusting and more of a “grippy” action.
Tapered vs Bulbous
Does your dildo have a narrow head and gradually widen, or does it have a girthy, bulbous head that needs to pop into place before getting to the main shaft?
Tapered shapes are better for stretching and loosening up for bigger objects, as they allow you to gradually move on to wider and wider parts of the toy.
Whereas a bulbous head is great for G-spot and prostate stimulation, as the girth of the head will provide extra pressure to those key areas with each thrust of the toy.
But you need to be sure you can comfortably take the widest part of these toys before buying a dildo with this kind of shape!
Some of the strap-on and double ended dildos out there have additional textures on the backside of the dildo, designed to provide some extra clitoral stimulation.
We’ve never noticed a huge difference in sensation from this kind of feature, but it’s better than nothing and a definite step up from strapons that don’t give the pitching female any pleasure at all.
There are even toys out there that can simulate squirting and ejaculating, for the ultimate in realism. Usually controlled by a hand pump and catheter tube that runs the length inside your dildo, with refillable sacs of thick, opaque lube.
Again, this is a fairly niche category of toys, but there are inflatable dildos that can get incredibly big when pumped up. These provide an incredible stretch and sense of fullness, although you’ll need to know your limits before taking and inflatable toy to the max.
And unless the toy has some kind of flared base it may be tough to keep in pace (for both vaginal and anal penetration). But they do provide unique sensations that no other toy can match.
Lastly, there are hollow cock sheaths that can work in two main ways:
- Worn over the male’s penis to add extra length, girth, or texture
- Worn on top of the penis to act as a double-penetrator during sex.
The fit on these is going to depend on the exact measurements and your own anatomy, although some hollow dildos are compatible with strap on harnesses to keep them snugly in place in the heat of the moment.
Now let’s get to the recommendations!
Disclosure: some of the links on this page are affiliate links, meaning we get paid if you buy a product using one of our links, at no extra cost to you. We never let affiliate programs influence our decisions on the best sex toys, and the opinions here are our own. We’ve spent hundreds of hours reviewing and testing toys and this is how we keep the lights on. Read our full affiliate disclosure.
Most Lifelike, Realistic Dildo: Vixen Vixskin
VixSkin Dildos Specs:
Price: $80 – $187
Insertable Length: 4.75″ – 10.5″
Max Girth: 1.12″ – 2.88″
Materials: Dual density silicone
Features: Harness compatible, g-spot/prostate, suction cup (some models)
We decided to start with probably the most difficult category in this whole guide. It’s difficult because there’s just so damn many good realistic dildos out there.
And out of all of those great options, our favorite all-around option is the Vixen VixSkin line.
Currently there are around 20 VixSkin dildos to choose from. They all come in a range of realistic flesh tones, and VixSkin is a high quality dual-density silicone so they feel soft and fleshy, but have a firm core for some rigidity. The sizes range from 4.75 inches insertable and 1.13 inches max girth, all the way up to a massive 10.5 inches insertable and 2.85 inches max girth.
Here are a few of the more popular VixSkin dildo sizes:
- Spur: 4.75 inches insertable and 1.13 inches maximum width
- Goodfella: 5 inches insertable and 1.5 inches maximum width
- Mustang: 6.5 inches insertable and 1.6 inches maximum width
- Bandit: 7 inches insertable and 1.7 inches maximum width
- Maverick: 7 inches insertable and 2 inches maximum width
- Dual density: provides the ultimate feeling of a real dick
- Realistic looking: available in flesh tones, with realistic veins and head shape
- G-spot + prostate: most VixSkin dildos have a bulbed head and upward shaft angle which helps target the g-spot or prostate
- Harness compatible: for some realistic strap on use
- Price: dual density is a more complicated to manufacture, and thus is expensive than single density silicone toys
VixSkin Realistic Dildos: Final Review
Vixen has been making high quality silicone toys for over 20 years, and they still remain one of the best quality toy brands out there. VixSkin is super realistic feeling silicone, and with over 20 sizes to choose from you should have no problem finding the ideal size and shape for your needs.
Tantus’ dual-density line of realistic dildos tends to come in at about $20 cheaper than VixSkin for comparable sizes. There’s less options to choose from, but there’s also some semi-realistic toys in bright colors if hyper-realism isn’t your thing.
A bit cheaper as these dildos are single-density, which unfortunately sacrifices some of the realistic feel of the above toys. The look and texture is spot on, and each dildo is molded from an actual porn star’s penis if you’re looking for that kind of realistic toy.
New York Toy Collective makes some amazing dual-density toys with incredible realism. Their bigger dildos are slightly more expensive than the VixSkin and O2 collections, but their Dilly is a great budget option for those looking for a slightly smaller dual density dildo. The dimensions are:
- 4.5 inches insertable and 1.17 inches max width ($50)
- 5.5 inches insertable and 1.25 inches max width ($60)
Budget Option: Silicone Willy’s
Silicone Willy’s by Blush aren’t dual density, but they are great realistic dildos made of body-safe silicone.
They range from $25 – 55 depending on size (and there’s plenty of sizes to choose from), and are generally harness compatible with a suction cup base. Fantastic budget realistic dildos that more than get the job done.
Best Strapon Dildo: Fuze
Fuze Strapon Specs:
Price: $55 – $93
Insertable Length: 5.5″ – 7.5″
Max Girth: 1″ – 1.75″
Materials: Regular silicone
Features: Harness compatible, clit stimulation texture, g-spot/prostate
As far as strap on dildos go, there are also tons of great options. Pretty much any toy with a harness-compatible base will do.
So for this pick, we wanted to focus on a strap-on that’s not only great for the receiver, but one that also has some added benefits for the giver as well.
That’s why we chose Fuze – every one of their strap on dildos has a textured base that provides some added clitoral pleasure for the wearer, in addition to being soft and textured for the recipient as well.
We’re specifically referring to the following models:
- Nova – 5.5 inches insertable and 1 inch wide shaft
- Velvet – 5.75 inches insertable and 1 inch wide shaft
- Rebel – 5.75 inches insertable and 1.25 inch wide shaft
- Flame – 6 inches insertable and 1.125 inch wide shaft (no clit/vibe base, suction cup instead)
- Perk – 6.5 inches insertable and 1.25 inch wide shaft, widest point 1.5 inches
- Harmony – 6.5 inches insertable and 1.25 inch wide shaft
- Wilde – 7 inches insertable and 1.75 inch wide shaft
- Alpha – 7.5 inches insertable and 1.5 inch wide shaft
Add in a bullet vibe near the base of the toy that provides some great vibrations for both parties, and you have yourself a winner. If you want some real power, use something like the We-Vibe Tango for its deep, rumbly vibrations.
- Clit Stimulation: a textured base provides extra stimulation for the wearer and ensures some two-way pleasure
- Bullet vibe compatible: a slot for a bullet vibe at the base of the shaft provides even more vaginal stimulation while also sending vibrations throughout the shaft
- Realistic or non: you have a choice of realistic colors and textures, or less realistic toys with smooth contours and a bright purple color.
- G-spot and prostate stim: an upward curve to the shaft and slightly bulbous head allows these dildos to hit your partner’s key erogenous zones.
- No truly large sizes: they cap out at 6.25 inches insertable and 1.6 inches max girth, which should be plenty for most users.
- Single density: silky soft silicone, but no dual-density options if you want that max realism
Fuze Strapon Dildos: Final Review
Fuze makes the best strap on dildos for both lesbian couples and cis couples looking to get into pegging. All their toys are harness compatible, provide extra clit stimulation, and have a space for an insertable bullet vibe. You have your choice of realistic or non-realistic, and the silicone used is high-quality and body-safe.
They won’t break the bank compared to some other dildos out there, which makes them our recommendation for best all-around strapon.
Similar to Fuze, Wet For Her makes some great harness compatible toys with the same type of clitoral stimulation base. The dildos are completely non-realistic and come in black, pink, or purple. They’re the same general size and price point as Fuze – the one way they fall short if that they don’t have a space for a bullet vibe
The same shaft as the realistic Vixen Mustang mentioned above, but with an added ‘saddle’ for more comfortable harness use. This is our recommendation for best realistic strap-on, but it is about $40 more expensive than the Fuze or Wet For Her dildos listed above due to the dual-density construction.
Best Small Dildo: Tantus Silk (and Sport)
Tantus Silk & Sport Specs:
Price: $30 – $50
Insertable Length: 4.25″ – 7″
Max Girth: .8″ – 1.5″
Materials: Firm silicone
Features: smooth shaft, harness compatible, g-spot/prostate
True to its name, the Tantus Silk is a smooth, small dildo with a consistent shaft thickness that also makes for a great dilator-type toy.
The Silk comes in 3 sizes that range over what we’d consider a beginner dildo, with the largest size right at the beginner/intermediate range:
- Small: 4.25 inches long and .8 inches max width
- Medium: 5.25 inches long and 1.1 inches max width
- Large: 7 inches long and 1.5 inches max width
Tantus’ Sport is similar to the Silk medium at 5.5 inches insertable length and 1-inch wide shaft, but with a bulbed head (1.3 inches wide) for some targeted g-spot or prostate stimulation if you want more in that regard.
- Price: these small dildos range from $30 – $40, with only the Silk large as slightly more expensive at $50. But Tantus has regular sales if you want to pick these up for even cheaper.
- Silky smooth: perfect for beginner use as they slide in and out with ease.
- Hits the spot: The Silk is curved upward to rake against the g-spot or prostate, and the Sport has an added bulb for additional stimulation.
- Harness compatible: the wide circular base on both toys is great for pretty much and strap-on harness.
- Not realistic: if you care about visuals for your beginner dildo
Tantus Silk & Sport: Final Review
All in all, these two small dildos are fantastic beginner’s toys and both make for a perfect first dildo. They’re made of high quality firm silicone and are small, smooth enough to gradually warm you up to the world of penetrating sex toys, and at a great affordable price point for a first toy.
The only downside is they may work so well you’ll want a bigger toy sooner than you might think!
Very similar to the silk, the Temptasia Twist is a constant width dilator-style dildo by Blush. They’re also harness compatible, and have a unique twisting texture on the shaft for some additional stimulation as they slide in and out.
You can also buy all 3 sizes for just $35 to create a dildo training kit on a budget!
Godemiche is a small private shop from Europe that makes some very pretty dildos in unique colors (more on this later). They have several shapes, but one of the most popular is the Ambit which is curved and has a bulbous head for g-spot and prostate stim.
The smallest size has a 1″ wide shaft and 1.25″ wide head, while the largest has a 1.3″ wide shaft and 1.6″ wide head. Perfect if you want a small dildo in some beautiful color combinations.
Hole Punch is another small, private shop located in the midwest US. Simon peg is a slim strap-on dildo with 6.5 inches insertable and 1.13 inches max width. It has some slight texture on the shaft, and is another fantastic small beginner dildos from a quality maker.
Vixen showing up again with some high quality small dildos. Spur is their absolute smallest dual density toy at 4.75 inches insertable and just 1.13 inches max width, while Mistress is a bit bigger at 5.75 inches insertable and 1.25 inches max width.
Mistress is not dual density, but it’s a great slim dildo and is also generally more affordable due to the single-density silicone. Mistress is also bullet-vibe compatible for some extra fun.
Best XL Dildos: Mr Hankeys
Mr Hankey’s makes a wide variety of large, extra large, and XXXL dildos for the experienced sex toy user. They make both realistic and fantasy toys, but for this section of the review we’ll be focusing more on their realistic toys.
Mr Hankey has over 30 realistic shapes to choose from, and most dildos are available in 3 or even 4 sizes to fit your experience level. They are all available in realistic flesh tones, complete with bulges and veins to mimic the real thing.
Don’t be fooled though:
Even their ‘small’ sizes are longer and thicker than most other maker’s largest sizes, and they only get bigger from there. To give you an idea, many of their XS sized toys are ~6.5 inches insertable and 1.7 inches in max girth.
Most of their dildos fall in between 8 – 10 inches insertable and are between 2.2 – 2.8 inches max girth. The largest toys extend all the way up to 16 inches insertable and over 4 inches wide, which is truly massive.
Don’t let your eyes get bigger than your holes!
Most of their large dildos are also available in firm silicone, or extra squishy supersoft silicone for some additional give, which we find especially helpful for XL toys like these.
- Huge variety: with over 30 models and multiple sizes, there’s over 100 different options to find the best XL dildo for you.
- Realistic: in both appearance and texture.
- Supersoft: we love the supersoft silicone option for XL toys, as the material has a lot more give and makes it easier to fit in.
- Harness compatible: most toys have the additional option of a Vac U Lock harness base, which is also useful for use on a fucking machine.
- The largest toys are not harness compatible due to weight and length.
- Big dildos require a lot of material, which means they aren’t cheap.
Mr Hankey’s Dildos: Final Review
It’s hard to recommend a specific dildo as the best length and width are going to depend heavily on your experience level , and the specific shape you’re looking for.
Luckily, Mr Hankey has so many shapes and sizes to choose from you’re guaranteed to find something to fill the gaping hole in your life. They’re not cheap due to the amount of material required, but they’re damn fine dildos and unbeatable quality for toys this large.
Tantus XL Dildos
There’s also the General (10.75″ long, 2.2″ diameter) which is a great ribbed harness compatible option.
And lastly Mr. Universe is a stocky dildo for those interested in more width than length, at 3″ max diameter and 7″ insertable.
SquarePeg Toys also makes a ton of great XL toys in unique and interesting shapes. They aren’t the most aesthetically pleasing, but the curves and high quality supersoft silicone more than get the job done.
Leo is one of their better looking large realistic dildos, and comes in 5 sizes (ranging from 5.25″ insertable and 1.4″ wide to 10.75″ insertable and 2.63″ wide) to match your experience level.
Budget Option: Colours 8 Dual Density
One of the best affordable large dildos: just $60 for a dual-density dildo that’s 7.25″ insertable and 1.9″ max width. It’s available in realistic flesh tones, or vivid colors depending on your preference. A suction cup base allows for great hands-free fun.
It’s also available for an even better price of just $40 at SheVibe, which is simply unbeatable for this amount of material.
Budget Option: Rock Candy Suga Daddy
A great large non-realistic option, Suga Daddy is available in 8.5″ insertable length and 2.25″ max diameter. It also has a spiral ribbed shaft for extra pleasure, a bulbous head for hitting the g-spot or prostate, and a suction cup base.
All for just $46 through SheVibe – another fantastic deal.
Best Vibrating Dildo: FunFactory Big Boss G5
Vibrating dildos are tricky.
This is due to two main factors:
- Soft, realistic silicone dampens vibrations. This means that firmer silicone is actually better when vibrations are concerned.
- Most vibrating dildos have a bullet vibe in the base of the toy. Which means the vibes are strongest further away from the tip, which is the opposite of what most people want.
That’s why we’re recommending the FunFactory Big Boss G5, which is really a vibrator first and dildo second.
True to its name, the Big Boss is on the large side – about 7 inches insertable and 1.8 inches shaft diameter. It’s got a built-in vibrator with 6 vibration rhythms and 6 intensity settings, meaning it’s more than strong enough for internal vibrations and external clit use if that’s what you prefer.
There’s also some nice quality of life features – an ergonomic handle, quick stop button, and waterproof casing for fun in the shower.
- Powerful vibrations: 6 speeds and intensities for a wide variety of stimulation
- Ergonomic grip ring: great for solo use or use on your partner – even with slippery, lubed up fingers. Great for thrusting motion from a variety of grips.
- Soft texture: the Big Boss G5 is soft enough to have some give, but no so soft that it dampens the vibrations
- Internal or external: can be used for g-spot or clitoral stimulation equally effectively
- Hands only: no base for harness compatibility or suction cup to stick to a smooth surface. Like we said – vibrator first, dildo second.
- One size: may be too thick and girthy for a relative beginner.
- Price: it’s not cheap, but high powered vibrators usually are a bit pricey due to the internals of the toy.
Big Boss G5: Final Review
If you want powerful vibrations in a dildo-shaped body, the Big Boss is for you.
It’s quite powerful and girthy, so it’s not for beginners. Although you can always use it as a powerful clit vibrator if it proves too thick for internal use.
But if you’re ready to step up your vibration game with a powerful dildo-like vibrator, the FunFactory Big Boss is a fantastic toy that’s sure to please.
If you want a dildo first and vibrator second, then Tantus’ Alan and Sam realistic dildos from their O2 collection are fantastic choices. Alan is the ‘standard’ size of 6.5″ insertable and 1.5″ shaft width, while Sam is a bit bigger at 7.3″ insertable and 1.8″ shaft width.
Both toys come with a hole in the base and a compatible bullet vibe. But if you’re serious about vibrations, we highly recommend pairing them (or any bullet-vibe dildo) with the We-Vibe Tango for its incredibly rumbly vibrations.
Both realistic vibrating dildos come with an optional suction cup too, although the suction cup goes in the bullet vibe hole so both can’t be used at the same time sadly.
This toy is the hybrid child that’s equal parts dildo and vibrator. Specifically, it’s a wand-type dildo similar to the nJoy Pure Wand (full review below), but with the added ability to vibrate for additional pleasure.
It’s got an ergonomic curved grip, firm silicone body, and a bulbed head which is fantastic for hitting the g-spot or prostate.
You can’t use it with a harness or suction cup, but after the amazing orgasms it delivers we don’t think you’ll mind one bit!
Budget Option: Silicone Willy’s Vibrating Dildo
Again these are more vibrator than dildo, as they’re essentially a budget version of the Big Boss mentioned above.
They’re not the softest or thickest silicone – but that’s actually good for a vibrating dildo as we mentioned above. The vibrations aren’t as powerful either, but at just $30 there’s not a lot to complain about and they deliver tremendous bang-for-your-buck – literally!
Best Strapless Strap On: Fuze Tango
Fuze Tango Specs:
Insertable Length: 6.75″ (external side) and 4.5″ (internal side)
Max Girth: 1.38″ (external side) and 1.62 (internal side)
Materials: Medium-firm silicone
Features: Double ended, bullet vibe compatible, clitoral stimulation, g-spot/prostate
‘Strapless’ strapons are really a bit of a misnomer.
Technically they do work without any kind of harness, but they require Olmpyian-level pelvic girdle strength to hold in place for any serious in-and-out thrusting. For best results you’ll want to use an open-backed harness or brief-style panties to support the weight of the toy.
We like this kind of dildo not because of their strapless qualities, but because they’re double ended and provide some good stimulation for the wearer and the receiver.
Fuze makes a second appearance on this list with the Fuze Tango for a lot of the same reasons that we covered above on the regular strap-on dildo section: good materials, added texture for clit stimulation, and space for an insertable bullet vibe for extra pleasure.
We also find the shape of the Fuze Tango to be easier to hold in place if you do elect to go for fully strapless use.
- Added clit stimulation: the same clitoral textures make this a pleasurable double-ended dildo for both parties
- Bullet vibe compatible: kicks the pleasure up a notch with shared vibrations
- G-spot and prostate stimulation: angled upwards and with a bulbed tip to hit key erogenous zones
- Realistic or not: Available in realistic skin tones with realistic veins, or in smooth purple and black silicone
- Should be used with some kind of harness for best effect. This is true for every strapless strapon, not just the Fuze dildos.
Fuze Tango: Final Review
If you’re looking for a double-ended dildo that’s pleasurable for both parties, the Fuze Tango has everything you could possibly want. Combine with the We-Vibe Tango bullet vibe for some powerful vibrations, and you have a setup that’s guaranteed to please everyone involved.
You should combine with some kind of supporting underwear or harness for best results, but the Tango still works well enough even if you choose to go the fully strapless route.
Wet For Her’s Union double-ender is another great choice for fully non-realistic strapless strapon, complete with the clitoral stimulation textures and bullet vibe compatibility as well.
It also comes in small, medium, and large sizes. The large is comparable with the Fuze Tango, so the two smaller sizes are great options for less experienced users (and are lighter and easier to hold in place if you go strapless).
As with all Vixen toys, the Peacemaker is the best option if you want a realistic looking strapless strapon. Made with the high quality VixSkin silicone and available in three flesh tone colors for added realism. The Peacemaker is slightly longer and thicker than the other two toys listed here (and only comes in one size), so it definitely works best when combined with a harness due to the added weight.
Best Fantasy Dildos: Bad Dragon
No review box found! Insert a valid box ID.
Bad Dragon Specs:
Price: $55 – $220
Insertable Length: 4.5″ – 15″
Max Girth: 1″ – 5″
Materials: Soft, medium, firm, and dual-density silicone
Features: rippled, ridged, and bulbous fantasy shapes
When it comes to the best fantasy dildos, there’s one clear winner: Bad Dragon.
They have a wide variety of unique fantasy shapes with ridges, bulbs, and textures not normally found on realistic or standard non-phallic dildos, including:
- Alien dildos
- Tentacles, tails, and probes
- Demonic and dragon dildos
- Animal shapes
Put simply – if you’re looking for an exotic dildo with unique shapes and textures, then Bad Dragon likely has what you’re looking for.
The dildos are also exceptionally colored to further add to the fantasy, and they’re generally available in firm, soft, or even dual density silicone for whatever level of realism you want.
To add to your options – most BD fantasy dildos are available in up to five sizes, meaning you can also tailor your toy to your experience level.
Bad Dragon’s Real Size tool is a unique way to show exactly how big each dildo is by comparing to a on-screen credit card, which is incredibly helpful to make sure your new fantasy dong isn’t too big or too small.
- Fantasy shapes: pick whatever dildo shape helps you play out your wildest fantasies
- Available options: choose from over 60 base models, each available in multiple sizes and silicone densities for a truly custom sex toy
- Rippled and ribbed: even if you’re not into the fantasy thing, these dildos have amazing textures, ribs, and bulbs that provide unique stimulation unmatched by many other dildos.
- Not harness compatible: due to the unique shapes of many toys, they are often not compatible with standard strap on harnesses
- Wait times: many users report taking 2-3 months to receive custom toys from BD, with little to no correspondence from support staff. You can get orders faster through their sales and clearance pages since these are already made.
- Controversial: Bad Dragon has had some controversy in their past. We don’t personally buy from them, but they have a huge following of loyal fans and their toys are body safe. We’ll leave it up to you if you choose to do business with them, but we felt the need to call it out.
Bad Dragon: Final Review
The undisputed king of fantasy dildos and uniquely-shaped toys. Do your own research on the brand before making a purchase, but the toys themselves are incredibly high quality and available in so many shapes, colors, and sizes.
As mentioned above, Mr Hankey makes both amazing realistic and fantasy dildos. With roughly 20 different shapes, and 3-5 sizes of most shapes available, there’s plenty of variety to choose from. Shapes include:
- Dragon – scaly and ribbed
- Centaur – a horse-cock shaped dildo
- Taintacle – a long, tapered tentacle shape
- Seahorse – a semi-realistic phallic shape with ribbed ‘netting’ overlaying the shaft
Uberrime is another medium-sized shop that makes some truly beautiful custom fantasy dildos. Their shapes are more traditionally phallic in nature, with some unique textures and absolutely stunning color palettes to choose from.
They also tend to be the perfect size and shape for some targeted g-spot stimulation. We particularly like their Night King line, along with some of the superhero-themed collections.
Probably the closest alternative to BD’s look and feel. There aren’t as many options to choose from, but there’s a healthy variety of tentacles, dragon dongs, and unique fantasy shapes to choose from.
Best Metal Dildo: Njoy Pure Wand
Pure Wand Specs:
Insertable Length: Approx 6″, 8″ long from tip to tip
Max Girth: 1.5″ at the wide end, 1″ at the small end
Materials: Polished Stainless Steel
Features: Double-ended with 2 different sizes, spherical heads evenly distribute pressure
The nJoy Pure Wand is one of the more legendary dildos on this list.
Originally designed for targeted prostate stimulation, it’s come to be known to be an incredible g-spotter and squirting toy over the years.
As the name implies, it’s a wand dildo which means the Pure Wand is not suitable for harness or hands-free play. In fact, it’s a very hands on toy that rewards you for getting in touch with your own body and erogenous zones.
Stainless steel has some unique qualities vs the many silicone dildos on this list:
- Hardness: steel is great for pinpointing pressure (and pleasure) right where you want it.
- Temperature: goes in cool and warms up to your body over time. Can be pre-heated or cooled for additional temperature play.
- Weight: much heavier than silicone, which provides a unique feeling of “fullness” when it’s inside you. Doubles as a bedside club in case of nighttime home invasions (kidding!)
- Shiny: stainless steel offers a unique luxury aesthetic you can’t get with even the sparkliest silicone blends.
- G-spot and prostate bliss: perfect for hitting the right spots for amazing orgasms
- Ergonomic: the curved handle allows you to use it solo or with a partner without massive strain on your wrist
- Luxurious: sleek stainless steel mixed with a pink satine storage box gives the Pure Wand a luxury look and feel.
- Double ended: the smaller end is 1″ max width with the larger end at 1.5″ width, for both beginners and advanced users.
- No free ride: requires constant hands-on attention, especially due to the weight. That means no suction cups or harness compatibility.
nJoy Pure Wand: Final Review
The Pure Wand is one of our favorite all around toys, and tt’s one of the all-time best reviewed sex toys in existence. Great for guys and gals alike, solo or with a partner.
It takes a bit of time to get used to the sensations and the best way to use it for your specific anatomy, but once you get the hang of it you’ll be rewarded immensely.
Le Wand makes a variety of stainless steel wand dildos very similar to the three nJoy toys listed above. Their Hoop wand is the closest to the Pure Wand, but slightly more expensive at $135. While Contour is similar to the Eleven, but actually significantly less pricey.
Best Glass Dildo: Hedonic Glass
Hedonic Glass Dildo Specs:
Insertable Length: 6.5″ – 7.25″
Max Girth: 1.3″ – 2.3″
Materials: Annealed borosilicate glass
Features: Beaded shape, harness compatible (one model), g-spot/prostate
Hedonic Glass is a small privately owned shop that makes some of the absolute highest quality glass toys in existence.
Their toys are all annealed borosilicate glass, which is as strong and durable as you can get in a glass sex toy. They also make uniquely beautiful, one-of-a-kind flower patterns in the base of many of their glass dildos which adds a cute and sexy flair.
They currently make 5 standard glass dildos, each with a unique shape designed for a specific use case:
- Curved tip for g-spot and prostate play
- Ribbed and beaded for additional stimulation (and great for anal play)
- Extra thick for added stretching and fullness
- An actual strap-on compatible glass dildo with a bulbed head.
Their glass toys are both sexy and functional. And their owner is a super nice guy as well.
- Quality annealed glass: the most durable glass, so there’s no fear of your glass toy breaking inside of you
- Beaded and angled shapes: for additional pleasure and hitting key spots.
- Harness compatible: a glass strap on dildo provides unique sensations vs silicone toys.
- Silicone lube: Glass and metal can be used with silicone lube, which is much thicker and longer lasting than water-based lubricants.
- Pricey: high quality, hand blown glass is expensive compared to the mass produced stuff.
Hedonic Glass Dildos: Final Review
If you want a high quality glass wand or strap on, Hedonic Glass is as high quality as it gets. Glass has many unique properties for sex toys – not to mention the sexy look of a see-through dildo.
If you’re looking for something other than the standard silicone dildos, you owe it to yourself to try a glass toy today.
Budget Option: Icicles Line
Icicles is a collection of budget borosilicate (not annealed) glass dildos and butt plugs from Pipedreams. The prices range from $30 – $50, and there’s over 20 wand and dildo shapes to choose from, including a fairly realistic glass dildo, and all kinds of twisted and beaded wands.
If you want to try a glass dildo without breaking the bank, the Icicles collection is definitely the best option available.
Crystal Delights also makes extra-durable annealed glass, only using soda lime instead of borosilicate which is slightly less durable (but still plenty tough). They also have some unique bumpy and textured glass wands, and have the added visual flair of having a Swarovski crystal (in a variety of colors) embedded in the base.
We love their jeweled glass butt plugs, and their dildos are equally sexy and luxurious, albeit also at a high price point.
Most Colorful Dildos: Godemiche
We mentioned the Godemiche Ambit above in the best small dildos section, but we felt they deserved separate recognition for the amazing and beautiful colored dildos in their collection.
Godemiche is a small handmade silicone toys shop with an almost limitless variety of colors, sparkles, and even glow in the dark dildos available.
Here’s the basic sizes and shapes in their collection:
- Ambit – a curved G-spotter in 3 sizes range from 1.25″ max width to 1.6″ max width.
- Adam – a semi-realistic phallic dong available in 2 lengths (6″ and 8″ insertable). Both sizes are 1.7″ max girth.
- Hercules – a larger semi-realistic dildo complete with vein textures. The largest size is 8.4″ insertable and 2″ max width.
- Apprentice & Peg – slim, smooth dilator-style dildos for beginners
- Skrue, Absolem, & Xi – uniquely textured and ribbed dildos for something a bit different
Ambit and Adam are generally the most popular, but you really can’t go wrong with any of these shapes.
They’re all relatively affordable, however they are located in the UK which means that shipping to the US or rest of the world can add a bit to the price tag.
But if you absolutely need a sexy sparkling dildo in a custom color combination, you really can’t do better than Godemiche and the international shipping is a small price to pay.
- Custom colors: get your own dildo made in sparkles, pearlescent, pastel, dual color swirls, rainbow, and even glow in the dark!
- Multiple use cases: whether you’re looking for a g-spotter, dilator, ribbed dildo, or something semi-realistic, Godemiche has you covered.
- Great for beginners: most of their toys tend toward beginner to intermediate sizes, which is great for a first dildo.
- Options: some models available with flat base, suction cup, or spot for bullet vibe. There’s even a version with a dedicated handle that’s great for manual thrusting action.
- No dual density or realistic options – just bright colors all the way
- International shipping can add to the cost of your purchase, however many countries qualify for free shipping on orders over 60 GBP.
- The supersoft version can be quite floppy and hard to get in place, especially for anal play.
Godemiche Dildos: Final Review
If you want the prettiest and most colorful dildo on the block, Godemiche is the best of the best.
There’s hundreds of color options and combinations available, and their 8 shapes give plenty of variety to choose from.
We covered Uberrime in our honorable mentions for fantasy dildos, but they also make some great realistic and semi-realistic dildos as well.
Most of their dildos are fantastic for prostate or g-spot targeting, as many of their toys have an upward-sloping shaft and bulbous head (particularly Praesto and Splendid).
There aren’t quite as many color options available as Godemiche, but they still have tons of unique colors and custom blends available. They also have far more shapes to choose from, and they make some damn fine beaded and fantasy dildos as well.
They also boast the most affordable triple density dildo we’ve found (still $150 though), which is a steal for triple-density construction.
Budget Option: NS Novelties Colours
The Colours collection from NS Novelties are some of the best dual-density, semi-realistic dildos on the market. They range from $30 – $40, and are available in some incredible bright neon colors.
They’re pretty much everything you could want in a budget dildo – dual density, realistic texture, a harness compatible suction cup base, available in multiple sizes, and aesthetically pleasing color options.
Note that not all Colours dildos are dual density, but the single density options are equally fine options if you want a firmer feel.
Best Ribbed Dildo: Tantus Echo
Tantus Echo Specs:
Insertable Length: 6.5″
Max Girth: 1.55″
Materials: Firm or supersoft silicone
Features: Ribbed shaft, g-spot/prostate, harness compatible, bullet vibe compatible, optional suction cup base
There are a lot of great ribbed and textured dildos out there. And like many other categories in this guide, the best one for you is going to be the one that’s the length and width for your experience level.
That said, the Tantus Echo is a great ‘goldilocks’ size for intermediate and beginner experience levels, at 6.5 inches insertable and 1.55 inches max diameter at each rippled bulb.
Ribbed dildos are particularly great for anal stimulation, as you can better feel each individual ripple, sort of like with anal beads. Echo is also harness compatible and has space for a bullet vibe in the base, which makes it a great choice for a pegging dildo.
Available in both firm silicone and squishy supersoft- and of course, made with the high quality silicone Tantus is known for.
- Great for pegging: the rippled shaft, bulbed head, harness-compatible bases, and optional bullet vibe means this is the total package for pegging.
- Firm or soft: choose your silicone density. Firm allows you to feel each rippled bulb better, but the supersoft version feels silky smooth no matter how you choose to use it.
- Suction cup optional: you can use a suction cup addon in lieu of the bullet vibe for some hands-free fun.
- Only available in one size – no large or XL versions for the experienced players out there.
- Limited color options compared to some other dildos on this list.
Tantus Echo: Final Review
The echo is one of our favorite dildos in our collection just because it does so much right.
It’s ribbed, but also smooth. Great for vaginal play and pegging, and decently sized but not too big. The option to use either a bullet vibe or suction cup addon adds new ways to play, making it incredibly versatile too.
All in all a great intermediate dildo at a great price, and guaranteed to please no matter how you choose to use it.
As mentioned above, Uberrime also makes some amazing ribbed dildos. All are harness compatible, and there are 5 basic shapes to choose from:
- Magique: long and gently ribbed (9″ insertable by 1.85″ max width)
- Senos: similar to Magique (8.25″ insertable and 1.9″ max width), but smooth on one side and ribbed on the other
- Ornata: Bigger difference between the shaft (1.3″) and max width (1.67″). 8″ insertable length.
- Tris: Three gently ribbed bulbs. 7.5″ insertable length and 1.55″ max width.
- Quattro: almost like a set of 4 anal beads. 6″ long, with a 1.3″ shaft and 1.67″ max width.
Mr Hankeys Fantasy Line: XL Ribbed Dildos
Looking for something large? We covered these above, but Mr Hankeys makes some amazing ribbed fantasy dildos in multiple sizes, ranging up to some truly massive ribbed dildos. They’re all great, but we generally like Seahorse, Dragon, and Oni for this kind of smooth, yet rippled texture.
Budget Option: Anal Stud Probe by CalExotics
You can’t beat this ribbed prostate dildo for just $25 by CalExotics. It’s not the biggest anal dildo (5.5″ insertable and 1.4″ max width), but it’s got some nice curves and is harness compatible with a suction cup base at an unbeatable price point.
Best Hollow Dildo: Vixen Ride On, Holster, & Colossus
Vixen makes one last appearance in this guide with their Ride On, Holster, and Colossus hollow dildo sheaths.
Hollow dildos have some unique uses compared to their solid counterparts:
- Adding length and girth to your (or your partner’s) penis
- Used on top or below your penis for double-penetration action
- Used on top of a vibrating or thrusting to to add extra realism and girth
- Can be put over toxic unsafe toys to make them body-safe
The three hollow dildos also come in graduated sizes:
- Ride On: Outside – 6.25″ long by 1.75″ wide. Inside – 4″ long by 1″ wide.
- Holster: Outside – 5.75″ long by 2.13″ wide. Inside – 4.5″ long by 1.37″ wide.
- Colossus: Outside – 6.75″ long by 2.25″ wide. Inside – 5.5″ long by 1.37″ wide.
All three of these hollow sheaths are great for adding girth however you want it, and they open up some really creative ways to play beyond what your standard dildo allows.
- Realistic: turns any hard toy or vibrator into a realistic-felling cock
- DP: Great for double penetration
- Girthy: adds some serious thickness to your own dick or to your favorite toy
- You’re somewhat limited by the inner dimensions and the round, hollow base. Your own shaft or your favorite toy needs to fit snugly inside for best results.
- Not cheap – they are made of premium VixSkin, which also carries a premium price tag.
Vixen Hollow Dildos: Final Review
These are some excellent toys with a lot of creative use cases.
They’re highly versatile, and are a great way to add some thickness to your own cock or your favorite toy. The realistic VixSkin silicone ensures it still feels like the real thing!
Similar to their fantasy dildos, Bad Dragon also makes 6 fantasy-themed hollow sheaths to turn your cock into a fantastic monster!
All sheaths come in small, medium, or large sizes for the outside, however the size of the inner tube has less variability. There’s good variation in sizes overall, but you may find it difficult to get the exact size on the sheath you want.
But as far as we’re aware, these fantasy sheaths are one-of-a-kind, which means they’re the only choice if you want a monstrous hollow dildo.
Best Thrusting Dildo: Velvet Mini Teddy
If you’re never tried a thrusting dildo or fucking machine, have we got a treat for you.
The Velvet Mini Teddy is a motorized little dildo that provides some intense auto-thrusting capabilities. It has a 5-inch insertable length, with a 2.5-inch stroke length (making this up to 7.5 inches insertable when fully extended). It’s also got a 1.5-inch wide shaft, which puts it right about average with a lot of other intermediate dildos in this guide.
The Velvet Mini Teddy has 6 speeds that go up to 125 thrusts per minute (2 thrusts per second, roughly the same tempo as a lot of EDM / house music).
We also love the suction cup base, as you can set the Teddy up horizontally or vertically on a smooth surface and let it do it’s thing, freeing your hands up for other uses.
The core of the toy is fairly firm, and we find it’s best when paired with a hollow sheath like the VixSkin ones above for a truly realistic feeling.
- Suction cup base: simply plant the teddy on your favorite smooth surface and let it do the work for you.
- 6 speeds: start slow and work up to a rhythmic climax at 128 TPM (thrusts per minute).
- Quality construction: silky soft silicone and easy-to-use controls.
- Not realistic: no flesh tones available and you can feel the firm core of the thrusting mechanism. Best when paired with a hollow dildo like the Vixen Holster mentioned above.
- Not super quiet: less than ideal if you have roommates or need a discreet toy.
- Awkward controls: Can be difficult to adjust the speed while in-use due to the buttons on the base of the toy.
Velvet Teddy Mini Thruster: Final Review
The Mini Teddy is more of a mini fucking machine that a normal dildo.
It provides some exhilarating stimulation in ways that a normal dildo can’t, and the fast and deep strokes combined with the suction cup base means this compact thrusting dildo can really give you a pounding.
Fun Factory Stronic Line
The Stronic line by FunFactory are much more vibrator-like than the thrusting Mini Teddy. They’re technically ‘pulsers’ which means they have a much shorter stroke length, but are also much quicker on the back-and-forth, which makes them closer to a normal vibe.
There’s several different shapes in the Stronic collection, meaning the best one for you is going to be the one that matches the kind of stimulation you like. There’s everything ranging from smooth, semi-realistic vibes like the Stronic Real or Stronic G to the bumpy and ripples toys of the Stronic Surf and Drei.
LoveHoney Thrusting Happy Rabbit
There’s no real budget thrusting dildos out there, but the LoveHoney Happy Rabbit is one of the more affordable ones at $110. This one is a rabbit-style vibe, although it suffers from the same problem that most rabbits suffer from – the clit stimulation is lacking compared to a dedicated clit vibrator.
The stroke length is a bit shorter than the Mini Teddy and there’s no suction cup base, which is a huge miss on this style of toy. But it’s still a solid thrusting vibrator with a lot to love.
What’s the difference between a dildo and a vibrator?
It’s a bit of a grey area – there are vibrators that look a lot like dildos, and there are dildos that vibrate. The main difference is the primary use case.
Dildos are more focused on the penetrative aspect, meaning they’re meant to feel good as they go in and out of you. Whereas vibrators get most of their ‘pleasure power’ from the actual vibrations, whether those vibrations are meant to target internal spots (G-spot or prostate) or external spots (clit or penis).
Most vibrating dildos are regular silicone dildos with a spot to insert a bullet vibe in the base (in which case we highly recommend the best bullet vibe – the We-Vibe Tango).
How does a dildo compare to the real thing?
It depends on the material. Silicone dildos are the most realistic feeling, but there’s also a huge range of firmness to silicone. Here’s how we rate the types of silicone by realness:
- Firm, single density silicone: ~50% realistic. Soft, but doesn’t have the give of a real penis.
- Supersoft, single density silicone: ~80% realistic. Very squishy and pliable, but lacks the firm center of an erection.
- Dual density silicone: ~90% realistic. A firm core gives the shaft support, while a soft outer layer squishes and squeezes like the real thing.
- Triple density silicone: ~99% realistic. Same as dual density, but with an added very soft middle layer, that allows the top layer to move over the hard shaft in a realistic way. Very expensive, and quite uncommon.
Of course, no dildo can 100% simulate the real thing for the same reason that you can’t tickle yourself. The unpredictable rhythm and intensity of a real partner is something that simply can’t be simulated manually.
What size dildo should I buy?
It depends on your experience level. We recommend the rough size ranges based on your experience with sex toys:
- Beginner: between 4.5 and 6.5 inches long and 1 to 1.5 inches maximum width.
- Intermediate: between 6 and 8 inches long and 1.5 to 2 inches maximum width.
- Expert: 8+ inches in length and 2+ inches in width are fair game, although it’s not always necessary to go that big.
Length is less important, as you don’t ever have to fully take the insertable length of a dildo, but you do have to be able to take the maximum width comfortably.
How can I incorporate a dildo into the bedroom with my significant other?
The first step is always to communicate. Don’t just surprise your SO with a new sex toy – involve them in the process. There’s no guarantee they’ll be ready to experiment with sex toys, and they should be a part of the buying process to ensure you both get a toy you’ll be happy with.
A good time to bring it up is after you finish having sex, by doing a recap of what worked and what didn’t. To get the conversation started you can say something like:
- That [thing they did] was really sexy. I think it’d be even sexier if we [tried using a dildo] next time.
- How would you feel if we tried using a sex toy next time?
- Do sex toys turn you on?
Is it normal for guys to use dildos?
It sure is. In a survey Lelo conducted 71% of men said they’d either tried prostate massage or would be willing to try it.
And it just so happens that prostate stimulation feels pretty damn amazing, and one of the best ways to accomplish that goal is with a dildo (or dedicated prostate massager).
To the guys in that other 29% who aren’t interest in trying a dildo, we have this to say: come on in, the water’s fine!
How should I clean my dildo?
Warm, soapy water is usually more than enough to disinfect and clean a dildo. If your dildo has lots of texture or grooves, then it helps to have a dedicated ‘dildo toothbrush’ to get in all the nooks and crannies on the surface of the toy.
If your dildo doesn’t have any electric parts (or is made of stainless steel or glass), then it’s also safe to sterilize for 3-5 minutes in boiling water or in the top rack of your dishwasher.
Although in the case of borosilicate glass, be careful of sudden temperature shock as that can cause the toy to break and crack. Gradual temperature changes are your friend with glass toys.
What’s the best household item to use as a dildo?
We’ve seen articles recommending readers use fruits or vegetables (bananas, carrots, cucumbers), shampoo bottles, or the handle of a hairbrush as an impromptu dildo. To be honest, we don’t recommend using any of these objects as penetrative toys for a couple of reasons:
- Many household objects are made of various plastics (or have a painted surface), which may have chemicals that can leech into your vagina or colon.
- They might break off inside you or during use.
- They might get lost inside you, particularly if you’re looking for a home anal toy.
If you must use a household item, be sure to use a condom with it to protect yourself from potentially harmful chemicals. Use something solid that won’t break, and if using it for anal play, use something with a flared base to keep it from going all the way in.
The only household item we can maybe recommend without a condom is a cooking ladle or spatula with a rounded, silicone handle that can act as a dildo.
Are there any downsides or dangers to using a dildo?
The main concern is using a dildo made of toxic, unsafe materials. There are tons of cheap toys out there made from TPR, TPE, latex, PVC, or jelly materials that are either porous (can harbor bacteria) or downright toxic (can leech chemicals into your body).
These materials are popular because they’re soft, flexible, and above all – cheap. We won’t name names here, but you’d surprised at how many big-name sex toy makers use these unsafe materials in their regular product lines without indicating the potential dangers.
Brick and mortar toy shops aren’t even always safe, as the unsafe materials are cheaper and thus will move more product to buyers on a budget. That’s why we almost always recommend toy buyers go to a retailer like SheVibe or Peep Show Toys, as every product in their stores are bade from body-safe, nontoxic materials.
Wrapping Up the Best Dildos
So there you have it: the best dildos to buy in each of 14 categories. This guide has been way too long, so if you’re still reading kudos to you.
You’re now an expert dildologist!
If you found this guide helpful and decide to make a purchase, we’d really appreciate it if you bought through one of the links on this page.
We pay the bills through our affiliate sales (at no extra cost to you), and every little bit helps us keep the lights on and provide more in-depth reviews like this one.