Butt plugs are the best way to venture into the world of anal play and add some extra naughtiness to your sex life.
But here’s the problem:
There are tons of anal plugs out there, and many of them use either unsafe materials or poor design that can lead them pulling up inside your ass. As an anal beginner, it can be overwhelming to find a great plug that works for you and doesn’t compromise on safety.
We’ve sorted through hundreds of anal toys using a combination of our own experience, reviews from other sex toy experts, and community reviews from Amazon and the /r/sextoys on Reddit.
The result is this list of the 15 best anal plugs that are 100% body safe and fit every conceivable use case.
Let’s get to it.
Find the Best Butt Plug for You
There is no universal “best butt plug,” period.
There are many great anal plugs out there, but the absolute best one for you will depend on a few factors:
- Level of anal play experience: are you a beginner looking for a first toy, or more experienced user looking for something bigger?
- Materials: body-safe butt plugs are made out of either silicone, stainless steel, aluminum, or glass. Avoid cheap butt plugs made of jelly, PVC, or latex as they are toxic and/or porous.
- Desired features: are you looking for a vibrating plug, something for long-term wear, or something with prostate stimulation?
- Aesthetics: there are jeweled butt plugs, animal tail plugs, glass plugs, plugs in bright colors, and more.
- Budget: are you looking for a budget sex toy under $30, or are you looking for the best of the best with $100+ to spend?
Best Butt Plugs TL;DR
Here’s the quick cliff’s notes version of our findings:
- As far as vibrating butt plugs go the Bvibe Rimming Plug and Lelo Hugo are as good as they come.
- Anal beginners should consider the Rocks Off Petite Sensations or the Tantus Perfect Plug kit.
- Tristan by Vixen is a great intermediate-advanced option, and the Egg plug is the best if you want something truly large.
- Rosebuds Cristal is the sexiest jeweled princess plug, and Crystal Delights makes an equally luxurious gemmed glass plug.
- Guys should check out the Oxballs Ergo or Bootie plug for some added prostate stimulation.
- Bvibe’s snug plug and Lovense’s Hush are fantastic extended wear options with some added stimulation.
- If you’re looking for exotic materials, the nJoy Pure Plug is the best stainless steel option while Hedonic Glass makes some amazing glass plugs.
- On a budget? The Anal Fantasy collection, Avant Pride plugs, Icicles no. 26, Butt Quiver, and Tantus Planet Dildos are all great options.
Best Butt Plug Comparison Chart:
|wdt_ID||Name||Category:||Ins Length (Inches)||Max Girth (Inches)||Material||Features||Rating||Price|
|1||nJoy Pure Plug (Lg)||Best metal plug||2.75||1.50||Stainless Steel||Pull ring base
|2||Bootie Plug||Best prostate plug||3.15||1.40||Silicone||Prostate stimulation bulb||8.4||30|
|3||BVibe Rimming Plug||Best vibrating plug||4.80||1.50||Silicone||Rotating, rimming base
|4||Perfect Plug Kit||Best trainer set||4.00||1.20||Silicone||2 sizes - small and large
Vibrating bullet included
|5||Crystal Delights (Med)||Best glass plug||3.70||1.50||Glass||Swarovski crystal jewel
Hardened, tempered glass
|6||Rosebuds Cristal (Lg)||Best jeweled plug||3.30||1.40||Stainless Steel||Swarovski crystal base
5 sizes to choose from
Many color options
|7||Egg Plug (XL)||Best large plug||6.00||2.60||Silicone||9 sizes to choose from
|8||Avant Pride P4||Most colorful||4.25||1.50||Silicone||Vibrant color selection||7.5||30|
|11||LovePlugs Tail Plugs||Best animal tails||2.85||1.40||Silicone or Steel||Fox, Cat, and Pony tails
Tails are detachable
Many length/color options
|14||Petite Vibrations||Best beginner plug||3.00||1.00||Silicone||Vibrating bullet||8.3||20|
|15||Lelo Hugo||Best for couples||3.40||1.30||Silicone||Dual vibrators
|16||Tantus Ripple||Best ribbed plug||6.85||1.50||Silicone||4 graduated beads
|17||Snug Plug (Med)||Best extended wear||4.70||1.40||Silicone||Thin neck for max comfort
Vibrating weighted balls
|18||Anal Fantasy Plugs||Best cheap plugs||4.25||1.75||Silicone||5 sizes to choose from||5.5||16|
|19||Vixen Tristan I||Best Intermediate||3.00||1.50||Silicone||Thick neck
Insertable bullet vibe
Disclosure: some of the links on this page are affiliate links, meaning we get paid if you buy a product using one of our links, at no extra cost to you. We never let affiliate programs influence our decisions on the best sex toys, and the opinions here are our own. We’ve spent hundreds of hours reviewing and testing toys and this is how we keep the lights on. Read our full affiliate disclosure.
Best Vibrating Butt Plug: Bvibe Rimming Plug 2
Rimming Plug Specs:
Our Rating: 9.1
Insertable Length: 4.8 inches
Max Girth: 1.5 inches
Features: Rimming neck, powerful vibrating tip, splashproof, remote control
The BVibe rimming butt plug aims to provide a rimming sensation with a rotating motor in the neck of the plug.
Combined with a powerful vibrating tip for prostate and internal stimulation, and a wireless remote control to rotate through the 7 vibrating speeds. The BVibe Rimming Plug 2 truly is the Ferrari of vibrating butt plugs.
- Vibrations and Rimming: It’s definitely powerful enough at both the tip and the rimming base. It does provide a unique rotating sensation which, with a lot of water-based lube feels really great.
- Remote Controlled: The BVibe Rimming Butt Plug also has a wireless controller that works up to 30 feet away, which is more than enough for play within the same (large) room.
- Splashproof: It’s also splashproof (not 100% waterproof), which means it should be fine with the occasional wetness that comes with intense sex. Do not wear in the tub though.
- Prostate Stimulation: 4.8 inches insertable means it can reach all the way to the p-spot, and 1.5 wide girth means it will provide a nice full sensation wile vibrating.
- Price: Obviously, that price tag – it ain’t cheap. But – you do get what you pay for, especially with regard to the quality of vibrations.
- Charging: Secondly, some buyers have reported the plug developing issues with charging after multiple uses. From what we can tell this only seems to affect a small number of the rimming plugs, but it is a possibility. That said, BVibe gives a 1-year warranty on all product defects should this happen.
We love everything about this plug other than the price tag. $150 is a lot, we know.
That said, it just does everything right. The length & size are perfect for “anal play intermediates”, and the silicone is a pretty perfect blend of firmness + give. The vibrations are powerful – and although the rotating neck doesn’t exactly feel like rimming – it does feel really good.
SHOP RIMMING BUTT PLUG 2 AT BVIBE
SHOP RIMMING BUTT PLUG 2 AT SHEVIBE
Vibrating Plug Honorable Mentions
We-vibe makes some of the best vibrators around, and the Ditto butt plug is no exception. It’s more of a beginner plug at just 1.3 inches max width, but it has powerful rumbly vibrations with over 10 modes, and a wireless remote too.
Budget Option: Rocks Off Butt Quiver
The Butt Quiver is a fairly standard shape butt plug with vibrating bullet that inserts into the base. It’s an intermediate plug at nearly 4 inches insertable and 1.6 inches max width, all for just $30.
Budget Option 2: LoveHoney Butt Tingler
The LoveHoney Butt Tingler is the cheapest decent vibrating butt plug. There’s nothing particularly special about it, but it gets the job done on a budget. It was our first butt plug years and years ago, and it served admirably until we started to upgrade our toy collection.
Best Metal Butt Plug: nJoy Pure Plugs
Pure Plug Specs:
Our Rating: 9.6
Price: $50 – $100
Insertable Length: 2.25″, 2.5″, 2.75″, 3.5″
Max Girth: 1″, 1.25″, 1.5″, 2″
Materials: 100% Stainless Steel
Features: Secure, flared O-ring base
There’s a lot to love about the sheer simplicity of the nJoy stainless steel Pure Plug. From the sleek, clean design and aesthetics, to the quality construction and design. The plug also comes in 4 sizes to fit a variety of levels of experience:
It may seem like a hefty price tag for a relatively simple plug, but everyone who has owned one can vouch for how amazing it is. If we had to decide on a “best single butt plug,” the nJoy Pure Plug would definitely be a finalist.
- Materials & Design: Unparalleled build quality and materials. This plug just feels great in your hands (and in your ass).
- Bulbed Tip: It’s curved with a nice bulb for prostate stimulation, with a flared pull handle for easy removal.
- Temperature: Stainless steel is also great for temperature play, and feels exciting and cool when first inserted.
- Extended Wear: Great choice for long term plugging wear.
- Price: It’s on the pricier side for what seems like a “basic” size and shape anal plug. We believe the build quality is worth every penny, but we understand how this can be a turn-off to someone looking for cheaper toys.
- Go Big(ger): Many buyers of the smallest size also regret not getting the medium or large. At 1.25″ max girth, the small Pure Plug may be enough if you’re an anal beginner – but you’ll probably want to move up quickly, and at that price tag you really to be sure you’re getting the right size toy.
The nJoy stainless steel butt plugs are hands-down the best metal plugs on the market, and a strong contender for best overall plug.
The build quality is top-notch, the the toy is well designed between the contoured bulb and O-ring pull base. The only downside is the price tag – but in this case you definitely get what you pay for!
More Metal Butt Plug Reviews
Looking for something slightly different in a metal butt plug? We have a full guide dedicated to the subject.
Read our full, detailed breakdown of the best metal butt plugs on the market.
Best Butt Plug Training Kit: Tantus Perfect Plug Kit
Perfect Plug Specs:
Our Rating: 7.9
Insertable Length: 3.5″, 4″
Max Girth: .75″, 1.2″
Features: Bulbed tip for p-spot stimulation, removable vibrating bullet
Not sure where to start? try this 2-piece anal training kit from Tantus!
- Train your ass: The small plug is perfect for anal beginners while the bigger plug will keep you happy once you’re feeling more experienced
- P-spot: the perfect plugs are a bit longer than traditional plugs with a nice bulbed tip, perfect for hitting the prostate
- Silky Soft: Tantus is know for quality silicone toys, and the perfect plug training kit is no exception.
- You may ‘graduate’ from both of these plugs and want something a bit bigger once you get more experienced.
We won’t be coy about it: we love Tantus for their anal toys, and the perfect plug anal training set is no exception. High quality silicone combined with thoughtful engineering results in a great anal toy, and has made this set one of the best selling anal training kits on the internet.
Perfect to get you or you SO into the world of anal play!
SHOP PERFECT PLUG TRAINER SET AT TANTUS
SHOP PERFECT PLUG TRAINER SET AT SHEVIBE
Trainer Kit Honorable Mentions
Rianne S Jeweled 3-Piece Anal Trainer kit
This 3-piece set of jeweled princess plugs is perfect if you want that added visual flair with your anal trainer set. The sizes range from 1.25″ max width to 1.5″ max width, a great range t take you from beginner to intermediate in no time!
Budget Option: CalExotics Anal Exerciser Kit
This 3-piece silicone anal trainer kit is about as cheap as body-safe anal toys come, at less than $30 for all three. The plugs aren’t fancy and the silicone is pretty firm, but they’ll take you from beginner to intermediate at a great price point.
Best Beginner Butt Plug: Rocks Off Petite Sensations
Petite Sensations Specs:
Our Rating: 8.3
Insertable Length: 3″
Max Girth: 1″
Features: 7-function vibrating bullet
True to its name, the Rocks Off Petite sensations plug is a fantastic beginner butt plug for a couple of reasons:
- Beginner Sized: 3″ insertable length and 1″ max girth is the perfect size for most beginners.
- Vibrations: Powered by a 7-speed bullet vibe in the base for extra pleasure.
- Shape: Gentle taper is ideal for acclimating your ass to anal play.
- T-base: keeps this small plug from pulling into your ass.
- Due to the location of the bullet, vibrations are strongest at the base and weaker at the tip of the toy.
- Those with a bit more anal experience may find it too small.
If you’re looking for a small, but powerful beginner’s butt plug, there’s a lot to love here. The size and shape of the plug is ideal for beginners, and the price point is a perfect entry to the world of anal sex toys.
We’re a bit more experienced with anal play so we didn’t find it to be as stimulating as some other vibrating plugs. But for someone just starting to explore anal play (with or without a partner), this is a fantastic first butt plug.
SHOP PETITE SENSATIONS PLUG AT ROCKS OFF
SHOP PETITE SENSATIONS PLUG AT SHEVIBE
More Small & Beginner Butt Plugs
Looking for more variety in small butt plugs? Read our full, detailed breakdown of the best small butt plugs for beginners.
Best Intermediate Butt Plug: Tristan 1 & 2 by Vixen
Our Rating: 8.8
Price: $48, $58
Insertable Length: 3″, 3.75″
Max Girth: 1.5″, 2.05″
Features: Thick neck, optional bullet vibe, secure T-base
Tristan 1 is a fantastic intermediate-level plug designed for comfortable anal stretching and training for more advanced objects. Made of premium platinum silicone, with an optional bullet vibe, and a thick, bulbous head there’s a lot to love about this butt plug.
Tristan 2 is like all of that, but on steroids. It’s a fairly advanced plug that provides an incredible stretch and fullness without being uncomfortable. Here’s the quick size comparison of Tristan vs Tristan 2:
- Tristan 1: 3 inches insertable length, max girth 1.5 inches, neck width 1 inch
- Tristan 2: 3.75 inches insertable length. max girth 2.05 inches, neck width 1.65 inches
- Platinum silicone: soft and flexible, and with enough give to make these thick toys comfortable.
- Thick neck: great for anal stretching and learning to relax with bigger objects in your ass.
- Optional Vibe: can be purchased in solid silicone, or with a space to insert a bullet vibe (included) for extra sensations.
- Hits the P-spot: the bulbed head presses up against the prostate for additional pleasure.
- Not great for extended wear: the downside of the thick neck is that it’s a bit more prone to popping out of place vs. a thinner neck, which could be a disaster outside the home.
If you’re ready to broaden your horizons and really stretch your limits, Tristan 1 & 2 is the butt plug to take you there. Definitely not a butt plug for beginners, but as long as you know what you’re signing up for this is an absolutely amazing butt plug.
Best Jeweled Princess Plug: Rosebuds Cristal Metal Plugs
Rosebuds Cristal Specs:
Our Rating: 9.5
Price: $65, $75, $85, $95, $130
Insertable Length: 1.7″, 2.4″, 3.3″, 3.75″, 4.9″
Max Girth: 1″, 1.2″, 1.4″, 1.6″, 2.0″
Materials: 100% Stainless Steel or Anodized Aluminum
Features: Genuine Swarovski crystal in base
Rosebud Cristal Jeweled plugs are our favorite option for high-end, luxurious princess plugs. There are near-infinite color combinations between the colored aluminum plugs and the crystal base. These Rosebuds Cristal plugs come in both stainless steel anodized aluminum.
Here are the various plug size measurements ranging from tiny, to massively large (and heavy):
|4||X Large||Stainless Steel||Silver||3.75||1.6||16.0||95|
|5||XX Large||Stainless Steel||Silver||4.90||2.0||31.5||125|
|6||Small||Anodized Aluminum||Red, Grey, Gold, Black, Purple||1.70||1.0||1.2||45|
|7||Medium||Anodized Aluminum||Red, Grey, Gold, Black, Purple||2.40||1.2||2.4||55|
|8||Large||Anodized Aluminum||Red, Grey, Gold, Black, Purple||3.30||1.4||3.7||65|
|9||X Large||Anodized Aluminum||Red, Grey, Gold, Black, Purple||3.75||1.6||5.4||75|
- Sizes: 5 sizes ranging from 1″ wide to 2″inches wide means there’s a jeweled butt plug for every experience level
- Color Combos: Over 20 colors for the Swarovski crystal end cap, which gives it the most color options of any anal toy we’ve reviewed!
- Weight: The heavy weight is great for double penetration stimulation during sex.
- Temperature Play: Steel and aluminum provide unique sensations when cooled or heated.
- The XL and XXL plugs are truly heavy, and can be quite the workout trying to hold them in for any length of time (could be a pro?)
- Be careful of smaller sizes getting pulled into your ass
If you have a specific size and color combination in mind, Rosebuds offers unmatched variety and selection. Not to mention top-notch materials quality and an elegant sparkling crystal, and you have a high quality anal toy.
The weight of the stainless steel and basic bulb shape makes these butt plugs ideal for additional stimulation during sex. The Medium and Large sizes are also an ideal blend of size and weight for extended wear out and about.
Budget Option: Temptasia Bling Plug
There aren’t any body-safe metal princess plugs for less than $30, but if all you’re after is a jeweled butt plug that doesn’t break the bank, this silicone heart-shaped plug is only $15. We don’t love the heart base (the shape is prone to pulling into your ass, and the silicone is quite firm. But it gets the desired look for a great price point.
More Princess Plug Reviews
Looking for something slightly different in a jeweled princess plug? Read our full, detailed breakdown of the best jeweled princess plugs on the market.
Best Vibrating Prostate Plug: Hugo by Lelo
Lelo Hugo Specs:
Our Rating: 9.4
Insertable Length: 3.4″
Max Girth: 1.3″
Features: Dual vibrators, hands-free remote, prostate stimulation, waterproof
Hugo by Lelo is the Bugatti Veyron of butt plugs. It packs an incredible amount of features and power into a small, compact package that’s delivers some great prostate orgasms.
It also has a second motor in the base of the plug to deliver strong vibrations to your perineum for added pleasure. The remote control means you can use it for some hands-free fun, or give it to your partner to control your pleasure in the heat of the moment.
- 3 vibration modes: choose between 6 predetermined pulse settings, Lelo’s SenseMotion controls, or flat vibrations.
- Dual vibrators: delivers powerful stimulation internally and externally for you and your partner
- Waterproof: take it in the shower to get dirty while you get clean
- Wireless: your partner can control your pleasure with a wireless hand control
- Price: it ain’t cheap, but it’s worth every penny
- At 3.4″ insertable and 1.3″ max girth it may be a bit small if you’re a larger guy or like a bit of a stretch.
We’ve said it time and time again – you get what you pay for with sex toys. In the case of Lelo’s Hugo prostate massager, you get a whole hell of a lot in one efficient package.
If you’re looking to take things to the next level with your partner, this is our hands-down recommendation for best butt plug for couples.
Best Butt Plug for Guys: Bootie Plug by Fun Factory
Bootie Plug Specs:
Our Rating: 8.4
Price: $35 – 45
Insertable Length: 2.6″, 3.15″, 3.7″
Max Girth: 1″, 1.4″, 1.6″
Features: P-spot bulb, secure T-base
Upon first glance, the FunFactory Bootie plug may not seem like anything special. But just wait until you get it inside you!
The silicone is silky and luxurious, yet firm enough to really hit all the right spots. Speaking of… let’s talk about that angled bulb tip. It’s absolutely amazing for prostate stimulation. The plug doesn’t have a built in vibrator, but you won’t need one with the way this hits your P-spot!
- Silky smooth: Amazing quality silicone that’s 100% body safe and hypoallergenic
- Sits in place: The wide T-base ensures this plug stays exactly where it’s supposed to be, even for extended wear.
- P-spot pleasure: The medium & large Bootie plugs are amazing for prostate stimulation with that angled head.
- Doesn’t come with a built-in vibrator or bullet. But we got amazing results using this with an external vibrator on the base of the plug.
- The Bootie small is probably too short to hit most men’s prostates.
We quickly discovered the powerful combo of using the Bootie large with a vibrating magic wand. Holy prostate orgasms batman! The overall quality is superb and the plug is still extremely pleasurable even if you don’t have a prostate. A truly fantastic beginner / intermediate plug for anyone.
Best Large Butt Plug: Egg Plug by SquarePeg Toys
Egg Plug Specs:
Our Rating: 9.6
Price: $30 – $160
Insertable Length: 3″ (XS) – 7″ (Monster)
Max Girth: 1.3″ (XS) – 3.6″ (Monster)
Materials: Firm or Ultra Soft Silicone
Features: Flared T-base, 9 sizes to choose from
SquarePeg’s Egg Plus isn’t just a large butt plug. It’s a medium plug, and an XXXL behemoth as well. In fact, the Egg Plug comes in 9 sizes ranges from a modest “XS” (3.5″ insertable, 1.35″ diameter) to the aptly-named “Monster” (7.5″ insertable, 3.5″ diameter).
- Premium Soft Silicone: The soft silicone on these plugs wont hurt your asshole like some of the cheaper, firmer silicone toys out there. Even the huge butt plugs have a lot of give, which means they’re the perfect thick butt plug for really stretching your horizons and moving into truly massive toys.
- Shape: The Egg Plug also gets its name from its obvious shape, which is pretty damn ideal for anal penetration. The egg-like taper opens up your asshole gently, and the fullness of the shape can help stimulate the prostate once fully inserted.
- Price: The prices also scale up fairly, so these make a great option for XL butt plugs that won’t break the bank.
- Store Carefully: “Supersoft” silicone means just that. You have to store this toy carefully, otherwise you can put creases in the soft silicone.
The Egg plug – especially sizes XL and up – are some truly huge butt plugs. But if you’re looking to stretch your horizons (and your ass), there’s no better toy out there. The silicone is so flexible and soft and they provide an unmatched feeling of fullness once inside you.
These massive butt plugs will teach you how to fit a SquarePeg into a round hole. Go big or go home!
SHOP EGG PLUG AT SQUAREPEG TOYS
Large Plug Honorable Mentions
OxBalls Ergo Plug
Similarly comes in several graduated sizes, but with a slightly curved bulb that aims for the prostate.
Not massive like the Egg or Ergo plug, but at 2.25″ diameter and 5″ insertable, it’s got the goods. The thick neck and long taper is fantastic for anal stretching and training for huge toys, but poor for long term wear.
More Huge Butt Plugs
The Egg Plug is hands-down the best all-around large butt plug we’ve reviewed, but there are some great massive plugs out there for the real anal connoisseur. We detail the 10 best thick XL plugs for anal stretching, extended wear, and depth play.
Best Extended Wear Butt Plug: Snug Plug by bVibe
Snug Plug Specs:
Our Rating: 8.5
Price: $45 – $65
Insertable Length: 3.4″, 4.3″, 4.7″, 5.2″, 6.3″
Max Girth: .8″, 1.2″, 1.4″, 1.7″, 2″
Materials: High quality seamless silicone
Features: T-base, slim neck, and weighted internal balls
There’s a reason why bVibe’s Snug Plug is our pick for best extended-wear butt plug: every single feature of this toy was designed with long-term wear in mind.
Here’s a quick size comparison:
|1||Snug Plug 1||3.40||0.80||2||45|
|2||Snug Plug 2||4.30||1.20||4||45|
|3||Snug Plug 3||4.70||1.40||6||55|
|4||Snug Plug 4||5.20||1.70||9||55|
|5||Snug Plug 5||6.30||2.00||12||65|
- Ergonomic design: the thick plug head, narrow neck, and wide T-base keeps the plug perfectly in place
- Quality construction: made of premium seamless silicone that’s 100% hypoallergenic and body-safe
- No batteries: weighted balls provide power-free stimulation as you move around
- Sizes: 5 sizes that range from true beginner to anal expert.
- Not as powerful stimulation as a butt plug with an internal or bullet vibrator.
Excellent engineering, quality materials, and maximum all-day anal comfort. The Snug Plug does exactly what it was designed to do: be a perfect long-term wear butt plug.
The only question that remains is: how big will you go?
Extended Wear Plug Honorable Mentions
The Lovense Hush is the best remote control vibrating butt plug, and it was designed entirely for public play and extended wear. The thin neck and wide base keeps it in place, and the Hush has some powerful (yet quiet) vibrations that are controlled by bluetooth phone app, or they can even sync to music around you. Great for some kinky public play at a concert or club! And Lovense’s bluetooth app is the best in the business.
Budget Option: Hole Punch House Plug
The Hole Punch House Plug is a great small-medium plug made of high quality silicone for just $20. As its name implies it’s great for extended wear around the house, but unfortunately only comes in one size and it is on the small side of things..
Best Glass Princess Plug: Crystal Delights
Crystal Delights Specs:
Our Rating: 9.4
Price: $80 – $150
Insertable Length: 2.8″, 2.9″, 3.1″, 3.3″, 3.6″, 3.7″
Max Girth: 1.3″, 1.5″, 1.8″
Materials: Tempered Glass
Features: Genuine Swarovski crystal or animal tail base
You really can’t go wrong with any of Crystal Delights glass butt plugs. They make absolutely stunning glass princess plugs and tail plugs that can’t be beat visually. The transparent glass really accents the jewels in a way that silicone or even stainless steel just can’t.
They also come in a variety of bulb and neck sizes, so you can customize to get the exact right dimensions for you:
|1||Short + Small||2.8||1.3||3.4||90|
|2||Short + Medium||2.9||1.5||4.9||110|
|3||Short + Large||3.1||1.8||7.1||150|
|4||Long + Small||3.3||1.3||3.7||100|
|5||Long + Medium||3.6||1.5||5.0||120|
|6||Long + Large||3.7||1.8||7.5||160|
- Color Selection: Absolutely beautiful plugs that come in a variety of colors – both in the base glass and in the color of the inlaid crystal or tail fur.
- High Quality Glass: annealed glass is extra durable, so you can be confident the toy will hold up over time.
- Silicone Lube: Glass is safe for use with silicone-based lube, which we prefer to water-based lubes when possible.
- Temperature Play: Like stainless steel, glass is also a great material for temperature play – both heating and cooling – and can feel exciting for the first couple of minutes after insertion.
- Aesthetics: Plugs come with either a genuine Swarovski crystal, or a realistic (and detachable!) animal tail base.
- Hardness: Glass isn’t as soft as silicone, which is less ideal for longer periods of time. The neck on these butt plugs isn’t too thick so this shouldn’t be a problem, but it’s worth mentioning.
- Price: Crystal Delights plugs range from $70 – $130, which is a hefty price for a sex toy that doesn’t really do anything besides look pretty. But they look so damn pretty.
If you want a butt plug that looks amazing with top-notch quality, Crystal Delights glass plugs are the way to go. Glass really provides a unique sensation as an anal toy material, and nobody does glass toys better than Crystal Delights.
Plus the colors – so many colors to choose from!
SHOP CRYSTAL DELIGHTS GLASS PLUGS
SHOP CRYSTAL DELIGHTS AT SHEVIBE
Glass Plug Honorable Mentions
Hedonic Glassworks makes some truly amazon custom glass butt plugs with unique floral finish in the base, and a range of sizes from beginner to advanced. Perfect if you’re looking for something unique and sexy beyond the standard jeweled princess plug base.
Budget Option: Pipedreams Icicles No. 26
The glass in Pipedreams Icicles No. 26 isn’t nearly as high quality as Crystal Delights. But with proper care they are fine butt plugs, and we’d be doing you a disservice by not mentioning them here given their much cheaper price point.
Best Ribbed Butt Plug: Tantus Ripple
Tantus Ripple Specs:
Our Rating: 7.9
Insertable Length: 6.85″
Max Girth: 1.5″
Materials: Ultra Soft silicone
Features: 4 graduated beads, strap-on compatible
We love most of Tantus’ toys – especially their anal toys like this beaded butt plug.
Ripple is a great anal toy for those who want a little extra stimulation beyond the traditional bulbed plug, and is long enough that it can even double as a ribbed dildo or strap-on.
- Graduated: 4 beads slowly get larger to provide excellent stimulation at any experience level. Great for anal training.
- Strap-on: The circular base is compatible with most standard strap-on harnesses.
- Materials: Tantus is known for its super soft silicone, which is great for longer anal toys like the Ripple.
- Versatility: Can double for bath vaginal and anal play.
- It might be a bit long to fit the 4th bulb, especially for smaller individuals.
- The thickness of the neck tends to cause the last bulb to pop out of place when fully inserted.
The Ripple ribbed butt plug is a great intermediate toy if you’re looking for some extra stimulation as it slides in and out. The length is useful for prostate stimulation or training for depth play. And the rate at which the beads get bigger is pretty perfect for beginners and intermediate folks alike.
Budget Option: Planet Dildos 4 Balls
A very similar beaded plug, also from Tantus. Part of their ultra low-cost anal toy line Planet Dildos. Read our full review here.
Best Cheap Butt Plug: Pipedreams Anal Fantasy Collection
Anal Fantasy Specs:
Our Rating: 5.0
Insertable Length: 3″, 3.5″, 4.25″, 5″
Max Girth: 1″, 1.5″, 1.75″, 2″, 3″
Before we begin, we want to note that we’re not huge fans of Pipedreams. That said, they do make some decent products at an unbeatable price point and we’d be doing you, our readers, a disservice if we excluded a good budget sex toy just because we didn’t like the company.
You’re adults; choose for yourselves if you want to support them or not.
The Anal Fantasy Collection has 5 sizes to choose from, although they definitely slant toward being on the large side of things (which isn’t ideal given the hardness of the silicone):
- 5 size options: The Pipedreams Anal Fantasy butt plug collection has 6 cheap plugs ranging in size from a thin/beginner (1″ wide, $13) up to a massive mega plug (3″ wide, $50).
- Price: For their sizes, the prices simply can’t be beat. The exterior of these toys is 100% silicone, which means they are safe for anal play, unlike so many other cheap butt plugs in this price range.
- You get what you pay for. The silicone on the Anal Fantasy Collection isn’t nearly as soft as some plugs that are only $10 or $20 more.
- Only available in black silicone that is quite firm. No special features or options.
The plugs are about as basic as they get – but they admittedly do the basics well.
Not an exciting toy, but it gets the job done on a budget, and is at least body-safe compared to some of the incredibly sketchy cheap sex toys out there.
Tantus Planet Dildos
16 budget sex toys with unique curves and a sci-fi look. Full review here. This line *just* launched so we want to test it out for a bit first, but it may very well become our new recommendation for best budget butt plugs.
Hole Punch House Plug
It only comes in one small-to-medium size, but the silicone is much higher quality than the pipedreams collection, at roughly the same price point. Read our full review here.
More Budget Butt Plugs
Looking for a cheap butt plug with some extra bells and whistles? Check out our full mega-review of the 11 best cheap butt plugs under $30.
Best Tail Butt Plug: LovePlugs Tail Plugs
LovePlugs Tail Plug Specs:
Our Rating: 8.3
Price: $55 – $65
Insertable Length: 2.5″, 2.85″, 3.25″
Max Girth: 1.1″, 1.4″, 1.6″
Materials: Stainless Steel or Silicone
Features: Cat, Fox, Pony, Rabbit, or Wolf Tail Plugs
We couldn’t pick just one best animal tail plug, because the definition of ‘best’ is highly subjective. It really depends on what animals you and your partner are looking to roleplay.
Thankfully, you have lots of options, as LovePlugs carries:
- Cat tail butt plugs (and matching ears)
- Fox tail butt plugs
- Wolf tail plugs
- Silicone dog tails
- Pony tail plugs
- Rabbit tail ‘pom pom’ butt plugs
Most tails are available in both natural, realistic colors, and artificial, vibrant colors. There’s also a variety of tail lengths, ranging from 12″ – 32″.
- Tails: As mentioned above, you have many options to choose from
- Size: Most tail plugs come in 3 sizes, to fit any experience level
- Detachable tails: Tails remove for easy cleaning
- Price: Excellent price point for the quality of both the plug & the fur
- The plugs are high quality, but nothing special in terms of features or anal stimulation.
These animal tail plugs are clearly for aesthetics more than pure performance. But sexual arousal is mostly mental, and the amount of visual stimulation and roleplay excitement these tail plugs provide is unmatched, which can lead to some very kinky and exciting play sessions. And with all the options available, we bet you’ll be buying more than one.
More Animal Tail Plugs
We wrote a detailed guide to the best fox, cat, wolf, pony, and puppy tail plugs. It’s hard to label any one plug the “best” since it’s going to largely come down to your preferred aesthetics.
Most Colorful Butt Plugs: Avant Pride Plugs
Avant Pride Specs:
Our Rating: 7.5
Price: $20 – $30
Insertable Length: 3.75″, 4.25″
Max Girth: 1.25″, 1.5″
Materials: Platinum Silicone
Features: Gentle taper, T-base
The Avant Pride butt plug collection is a beautiful blend of form and function. Each plug is a colorful explosion that’s sure to visually please – and also please you in other ways.
The sizes lend themselves to ideal beginner or intermediate anal toys, and the gentle taper is perfect for gradually easing into things.
- Colors: Plugs come in a variety of vivid colors for a unique aesthetic appeal.
- Tapered: All Avant plugs are gently tapered to allow for gradual relaxation and stimulation.
- Extended wear: Soft silicone + a T-base means these plugs are good for longer periods of use.
- Lacks advanced features other butt plugs on this list have.
If you’re looking for a high-quality ‘standard’ butt plug with major visual appeal, then the Avant Pride collection is a fantastic choice. A great budget option, and excellent softness and quality of materials for the price.
SHOP AVANT PRIDE AT PEEPSHOWTOYS
Butt Plug & Anal Sex FAQs
Are butt plugs safe?
Yes! Quality butt plugs made from body safe materials are perfectly fine for anal sex.
There are two caveats to this rule:
- Only use anal toys with a large or flared base to prevent the toy from pulling inside your ass. This is a real problem with some cheap butt plugs that have small, circular bases, or when using toys meant for vaginal stimulation that have no base at all. When possible, we recommend using a plug that has a wider “T” base.
- Plugs made of jelly materials are not safe to be put near any of your mucous membranes. Avoid these cheap plugs at all cost.
What Do Butt Plugs Do?
There’s 5 main uses for butt plugs in our experience:
- Additional stimulation during sex. Putting a butt plug in before sex provides extra stimulation to the nerves in your asshole. If you’re a guy, prostate stimulation is always a plus.
- Warming up for anal. A tapered butt plug is a great way to ease into anal sex before moving on to the real thing.
- Anal stretching and training. A butt plug with a wide neck will stretch your ass out to get used to bigger objects.
- Sexy aesthetics. A tail plug or jeweled princess plug add a kinky visual flair to sexy time.
- Public and extended wear. There’s something undeniably naughty about putting in a butt plug and going about your daily life.
How to use a butt plug
Here’s a typical routine to properly prepare your ass for anal play:
- Take a healthy dose of psyllium fiber 24-36 hours before planned anal play.
- Clean your anus with a gentle saltwater enema 30 – 60 minutes before use (optional).
- Add a dime-sized drop of quality lube to your finger, and gently apply to your asshole.
- Once warmed up, slip one finger inside and try to relax as you work it in and out. After a couple of minutes, add a 2nd finger and keep warming up.
- Once you can take 2 fingers, you’re ready to try a toy. Apply another dime-sized drop of lube to the toy, and be sure to cover all the surfaces and nooks and crannies.
- Gently insert the tip, and work deeper gradually as you feel comfortable. If you ever feel a sharp or intense pain, stop immediately.
That’s the most basic overview we can give here. Check out our full guide to preparing for anal sex for more detail.
What does it feel like? Do butt plugs hurt?
Inserting any anal toy should never hurt. There may be some very mild discomfort while you’re warming up, but never sharp pains. If you feel any pinching, back off and add more lube. If it still hurts, stop and try a smaller toy (or your fingers) first.
Once inserted you will feel a certain “fullness” inside your ass. As you walk around or have sex, you’ll feel the plug bounce around and provide some exciting stimulation.
Men will feel some extra stimulation as the butt plug presses up against the prostate. While women will feel extra tight – especially if double-penetrating – as the added volume in your ass will press up against the posterior wall of your vagina.
What’s the best lube for butt plugs?
The short answer is: water-based lube if using a silicone toy, or silicone based lube for glass/metal toys. We don’t recommend scented or flavored lubes at all as they can introduce unnecessary and potentially questionable chemicals to the anus or vagina.
As a general rule water-based lubes are safe for use with anything, but dry out faster than silicone lube – and silicone lube generally feels smoother. We suggest you check out our full lube guide on how to pick the right lube, but here’s a quick comparison:
|wdt_ID||Type of Lube||Pros||Cons|
|1||Water Based||- Good for anal and vaginal sex
- Easiest type of lube to clean
- Can be flavored for novelty
- Safe for all sex toy materials
|- Dries out after 10-20 mins
- Not as smooth as other lubes
|2||Silicone Based||- Long lasting: 60+ minutes
- Thicker and smoother for anal sex
|- Can't use with silicone toys
- Slightly more expensive
|3||Oil Based||- More natural ingredients
- Lasts even longer than silicone lube
- Can be homemade (coconut oil)
|- Not condom safe
- Can stain linens and clothes
- Higher tendency for infection
- Do not use mineral oils
What’s the best material for a butt plug?
In general we recommend only 4 materials for anal toys:
- Silicone – 100% cured / platinum / food safe / medical grade silicone. Watch out for shady foreign manufacturers passing off cheap, patented silicone blends with who-knows-what mixed in.
- Metal – Stainless steel & aluminum only. Watch out for chrome plated ‘metal’ butt plugs.
- Glass – Look for tempered or borosilicate glass toys from reputable manufacturers. Nothing with a base that could break off and leave the toy inside you.
- Wood – Must be treated properly and from a reputable craftsman. By far the least popular hard sex toy material.
You CAN use some hybrid PVC and TPR material toys for butt plugs, but you would have to use a condom, and where’s the fun in that? PVC and TPR are porous, meaning they can harbor bacteria from your anus despite thorough cleaning. We have a full body safe sex toy materials guide that goes into more detail.
Check out this quick materials reference table:
|- Soft & flexible
- Best for long toys
- Best all-around material
|- Beware toxic fake silicone
||All toysDildos in particular|
|- Great for temperature play
- Most luxurious material
- Easy to clean
|- Too hard for large toys
- Must inspect for stress marks
- Not good with vibrations
|Plugs and wands|
|3||Stainless Steel & Aluminum||No||Water
|- Great for temperature play
- Most durable material
- Easy to clean
|- Beware cheap 'metal' toys
- Too hard for large toys
|Plugs and wands|
|- Best for external vibrators
- Cheap and durable
|- Doesn't feel luxurious
- Avoid painted plastic
|9||Treated Wood||No||Water||- Unique aesthetic style
- Very durable & long-lasting
|- Must be properly treated
- Check for compatible lubes
- Quality craftsmanship = $$$
|Plugs and wands|
|10||TPR, TPE, & Cyberskin||Yes||Water||- Most realistic skin feeling
- Great for male masturbators
- One of the cheapest materials
|- Must use w/ a condom
- Pores can harbor bacteria
|11||PVC & Latex||Yes||Water
|- Similar to silicone, but cheaper||- Must use condom internally
- Silicone often a better choice
- Can cause allergic reaction
|13||Jelly & Rubber||Yes||Water||- Cheapest material available||- Toxic: should never be used
- Toys degrade over time
- Pushed by unethical sellers
|Should never be used|
How should I clean my plugs between use?
Depends on the material, but warm, soapy water is always a safe bet. Just make sure to get into all the nooks and crannies of the toy to eradicate any bacteria hiding in there.
Metal and glass toys can also be put in the top rack of the dishwasher for an extra-sterile cleaning.
What’s the best base for an anal toy?
You want anything you put in your ass to have a base wider than the maximum girth of the toy. Because if you can take the widest part of the toy, what’s to stop the rest of it from sliding in?
In general, a T-base or O-ring is the best base, as they’re almost always wide enough. However, they can block the vagina during sex, making it difficult to double-penetrate.
Circular bases are better for this purpose, just make sure the base is big enough!
4 Popular Butt Plugs to Avoid
AKStore 3 Pcs Luxury Jewelry Design Fetish Stainless Steel Anal Butt Plug
A 3-piece set of “metal” butt plugs… for just $15. Does that seem a bit too good to be true? Because it is.
This basic jeweled princess plug has popped up on all kinds of sex toy marketplaces, and is nothing more than a cheap chrome-plated plug, made by an unknown manufacturer overseas. The Chrome can flake off inside you, and isn’t hypoallergenic like good silicone, stainless steel, or aluminum is.
PALOQUETH Silicone Anal Plug Toy Kit
Another “too good to be true” set. We haven’t bought this exact set, but we did buy another Paloqueth vibrator to see if it lived up to the hype. Instead, we got anal and vaginal inflammation and stinging that should never accompany 100% silicone.
Bumpy Bubbles Anal Plug
Not to single out this exact toy, we just want to call out all jelly sex toys. “Jelly” toys can be made of a number of plastic blends, and there’s no way of knowing exactly what the chemical makeup of your toy is.
Furthermore, well-known reviewers like Dangerous Lilly have written ad-nauseam about the dangers of jelly toys, and how they can leech chemicals into your body through your anus. Hard pass.
Crystal Jellies Anal Starter
Same as the above – don’t put anything made of jelly anywhere near your ass (or vagina). MGood toys made of medical grade silicone is only $10 more expensive than this cheap plug, so why take the risk?
There you have it. The best butt plugs available to buy right now, in our experience. We’ll keep this updated as new products and reviews come to light, but for now this is the best of the best.
Happy anal playing!